Drawing on a long tradition of helping students from all background to realise their full potential, the University of Westminster has developed a range of Degree with Foundation Courses as an alternative route into higher education.
They are a way to gain a full honours degree if you do not meet the entry requirements or are returning to education after a break.
Our Foundation Courses are practice-based, with opportunities for you to develop your academic skills and abilities. They are offered as an integrated year of study and prepare you for studying at undergraduate level. After successful completion of the foundation year, often referred to as year 0, you will progress onto year 1 of your full degree course.
What subject can I study?
An expanded range of our undergraduate degrees now offer a foundation year. These include:
- Art and Design
- Biomedical Sciences
- Business and Management
- Business Information Systems
- Computer and Network Engineering
- Computer Science and Software Engineering
- Digital Media and Games Computing
- Politics, International Relations and Development
- Property and Construction
- Television, Film and Moving Image
Who should consider a Westminster Foundation Course?
We aim to encourage a broad range of students to undertake these studies especially those who:
- feel they are not ready for degree-level study
- do not have the right qualifications for immediate entry into their chosen degree
- wish to change discipline and/or subject specialism
- are returning to study after periods of absence from education
- learn best in a non-traditional way
What makes a Westminster Foundation Course unique?
Our Westminster Degree with Foundation Courses are designed with the student experience at the centre and are a great introduction to the skills and techniques needed for university studies. All courses combine academic learning with professional and vocational learning and draw upon the excellence and innovation across the University.
Westminster Foundations are practical-based and unique in providing our students with:
- Academic skills development to encourage a holistic approach to transitions within Higher Education
- Career coaching to nurture academic, professional and personal success
- Building confidence through encouraging and rewarding autonomous learning
- Tailored feedback for key milestones in student learning
- Enrichment activities to take learning further
- Industry engagement through London’s cultural, entrepreneurial and research sectors
- Personalised study plans embedded in University level core modules
- An immersive student experience through the establishment of Westminster Foundation Courses where learners are encouraged to be creative, critical and entrepreneurial
And as a Foundation year student, you will have full access to our support services, facilities and benefits from day one and throughout your whole degree studies.