It is important that you meet the Student Visa eligibility requirements before you submit your visa application.

You must provide the applicable supporting documents, from the table below in support of your visa application. There are strict requirements for supporting documents and your documents must meet these requirements to prevent a visa refusal. Supporting documents can be originals or copies.

Document Description
Your passport

You must submit your original, valid passport in support of your visa application. Your passport must contain at least one full page that is blank on both sides.

There is no requirement for your passport to be valid for any length of time, although, it must be valid when you make your visa application. If your passport will expire soon after you arrive in the UK, you may find it easier and less stressful to renew your passport before you make your visa application and before you travel to the UK.

Completed visa application and visa application checklist

You must submit your visa application checklist.

You will be able to download your visa application checklist once you have submitted your visa application form. The checklist will list important information about your visa application, including the documents you are required to submit in support of your visa application.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies

You must have a CAS, for the University of Westminster, before you make your Student Visa application. When you receive your CAS check that the information is correct, and your personal details match your passport exactly.

If you are continuing a course at the University or you have completed a course at Westminster and you are applying to study a new course at the University, you must apply for a new CAS. For more information on the procedure and applying for a CAS, please refer to the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) page.


Where you are studying at degree level (RQF level 6) or above you do not need to provide evidence of your previous qualifications with your visa application since your CAS will include details of your qualifications.

If you are studying at below degree level (below RQF6), or you are 16 or 17 you must provide any documents listed on your CAS with your visa application, unless you are a national listed under the 'Differential evidence requirement' under paragraph ST 22.1 of Appendix ST of the Immigration Rules.

Acceptable evidence includes:

  • certificate or certificates of qualification
  • transcript of results
  • print out of qualification or transcript results from the awarding body’s online checking service

If you are applying to start a new course, you must present evidence of the qualifications that the University used to assess your suitability for the course. Your CAS will state what these qualifications are.

If you are applying for extra time to complete your current course of study, you will not normally need to show evidence of your qualifications.

Applications from inside the UK:

If you are applying inside the UK and are starting a new course and you have, or have had, a student visa before then you will also need to submit evidence that you successfully completed the course you were studying to show academic progression.

If you have previously changed course, having met the relevant requirements to do so, and you have had to re-sit exams or repeat modules on your new course, you must submit transcripts to show that your re-sits or repeats are in respect of your new course and not your previous course. 

Financial evidence

There are specific Home Office maintenance requirements for financial evidence. You must submit evidence that meets these requirements normally showing money has been held for 28 consecutive days and the evidence dated no more than 31 days old.

If you are relying on your parent(s)' funds you will also need to include the following:

  • Letter of consent from your parent(s)
  • Your birth certificate

For more information about the financial documents accepted by the Home Office visit our maintenance and fees and the 28-day rule page.

Applications from inside the UK:

If you have been in the UK for 12 months or more, and you apply for your visa before your current visa expires, you will automatically meet the financial requirement. You will not need to submit your financial documents.

Official financial sponsorship letter

If you are sponsored by one of the following organisations:

  • Her Majesty’s Government
  • the applicant’s home government
  • the British Council
  • an international organisation
  • an international company
  • a university
  • a UK independent school

you are required to submit a letter confirming your financial sponsorship, unless your sponsor is the University, in which case your sponsorship will be confirmed on your CAS. Read about the requirements for Official Financial Sponsorship letters.

If you are currently sponsored by a government or an international scholarship agency, or you have been sponsored by them within the last 12 months, you must submit a letter of consent from your sponsor. The letter must state that your financial sponsor consents to your Student Visa application.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate

You may require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate for certain science and technology courses studied at PhD-level or Master’s level.

The ATAS certificate is issued by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) for permission to study the course.

Your offer letter and your CAS will tell you if you need an ATAS certificate.

You must be issued with an ATAS Certificate before you make a Student Visa application. Apply for ATAS as soon as you can bearing in mind that they are valid for 6 months. If applying in the UK you are recommended to apply 4 months before your current visa expires, if applying outside the UK apply one month before you will need the ATAS.

Applications are processed in order of receipt and there is no option to ‘fast track’ an ATAS application. Please note, it can take 30 or more working days to be issued with an ATAS certificate between April and September.

You can find out more information about the ATAS certificate on the FCO website.

Tuberculosis (TB) Test certificate

You will need to take a TB test and submit your TB test certificate with your visa application, if you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months and you have been living in one of the countries specified by the Home Office for at least 6 months. It is about where you have been resident and not what nationality you hold. The test must be taken at an approved TB test clinic.

If you plan to submit your Student Visa application in a country that it not on the TB test list, and you have been resident in a country where TB testing is required for more than six months, you are required to submit a TB test certificate. The difficulty you will face is that approved TB test clinics are only located in countries on the list. It is important that you attend a TB test clinic before you go to the country where you want to make your visa application.

You will be issued with a certificate if your test shows that you do not have TB. This certificate is valid for six months. You must include this original certificate in support of your visa application.

You can find information about the TB test on the website.

You are not required to submit a TB test certificate if you are applying for your visa extension from inside the UK.

Police Registration Certificate

If your current or most recent immigration permission has (or had) the condition to register with the police, you must submit your up-to-date police registration certificate with your Student Visa application.

You are not required to submit a police registration certificate if you are submitting your visa application from outside the UK.


If your documents are not in English you will need to submit translations of these documents. Please refer to the Translation guidelines page.

If you are under the age of 18 you are required to submit additional documentation in support of your application. or further information visit the UKCISA website or contact Student Advice.

Differentiation arrangement

If you are a national of one of the countries listed in paragraph ST22.1 of the Immigration Rules, you can take advantage of the 'differentiation arrangement for low-risk applicants. You will not normally need to submit your qualifications or evidence of your money with your Student Visa application. A list of the countries in the Immigration rules: student appendix.

However, it is important that you have your qualifications and financial documents available and in the required format as the Home Office may request this evidence at a later date. Failure to provide these documents, when asked, will lead to your application being refused.

If you have a British Nationals (Overseas) passport, Hong Kong passport or Taiwanese passport then you may be covered by the differentiation arrangements. See paragraph ST22.1 of the Immigration Rules and contact Student Advice for further information.