Student Advice

The Student Advisers give specialist advice and support on a range of issues including:

  • Student Finance England funding for undergraduate and postgraduate courses (eligibility, funding for repeat year/s, implications of previous study on funding a new course), financial implications of withdrawing from or suspending from your course. visit our Fees and funding pages for more information.
  • Rights for EU nationals and their family members including eligibility for SFE funding.
  • Information for International students, including visas and immigration, adjusting to UK life and making friends, practical information about living in the UK and getting the most out of your time here.
  • Tuition Fee status queries and meeting the requirements to pay the home rate of tuition fee. Information about fee status can also be found in our Fees FAQ page.
  • Social Security benefits if you are a parent or have a disability. You may be eligible for benefits during your studies, find out more on our Benefits page.
  • Money management.
  • Council Tax liability. Take a look at our Council Tax page for an outline. Council Tax Exemption Certificates are issued by your Faculty Registry Office.
  • Advice and support for care leavers. Our Care Leavers page explains the help and support available to you.
  • Advice and support for estranged students.  Our support for estranges students page explains the help and support available to you.

We can advise you about your entitlements, UK visa options and applications and, if necessary liaise on your behalf with the relevant body such as Student Finance England, a benefit department or the Home Office

For more details on how we support you, download our Statement of Service (PDF) and Immigration Statement of Service (PDF). Please also view our Confidentiality, Data Protection and Record Keeping Statement (PDF).

For guidance on the University's academic regulations, contact your Faculty Registry Office.

Help with managing your money

If you need help organising your finances, the Financial Capability Adviser can offer support and guidance.

You'll also find helpful tips on managing your money if you visit our Budgeting page.

Immigration and visas

The Student Advisers are the only members of staff in the University who are authorised to give UK immigration and visa advice.

We can give you advice on:

  • applying for a visa to study in the UK
  • what work you are allowed to do during your course
  • UK visas for working after your course ends
  • UK visas for dependants.

Applying for a UK Study visa can be complicated. The Tier 4 Student Visa rules are especially complex. Your application and supporting documents must be correct to avoid a visa refusal.  If you are making a visa application, contact us if you have questions about the application or documents required. We can also check your application and documents before you apply. If you are already in the UK it is very important to check with us that you are able to make your visa application in the UK.

You'll find more information on our Visas page and on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

Support for care leavers

We offer confidential, tailored guidance to students who have been in care. More information is available on our Care Leavers page.

Support for estranged students 

We offer confidential, tailored guidance to students who are estranged from their parent/s. More information is available on our support for estranged students page.

Contact us

We offer one-to-one appointments, phone and email advice.

A Duty Adviser is usually available to take calls between 10am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

When emailing us, make sure you include your Student ID number.

If you have a quick query, we also offer short 15 minute consultations.  Please come to:

  • Student Information Point, 101 New Cavendish Street (first floor) – Monday – Friday between 12 – 2pm
  • Student Affairs Reception, EG13 Marie Hewlett Building, Harrow  – Tuesdays only between 12 – 2pm (limited slots: please register on the sign-in sheet at Student Affairs reception).

You can find us at:

First Floor, Cavendish House
101 New Cavendish Street
London W1W 6XH

T: +44 (0)20 7911 5000 ext 66080
E: [email protected]

Harrow (Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, term-time only)
Maria Hewlett building
Watford Road
Northwick Park
Harrow HA1 3TP

T: +44 (0)20 7911 5000 ext 66080
E: [email protected]

Close up of hand using computer mouse

Disability Learning Support

Our Disability Learning Support team provides a range of services for students with disabilities.

scissors over first aid kit


Learn how to deal with emergency situations.