Who we are

Starting university can be an exciting prospect, but also a daunting one, especially if you're leaving care. So to help you settle in, we've developed a guidance and support package tailored for you.

Our care leaver support is run by Anne McGrath, our Care Leaver Adviser/Co-ordinator, who is here to provide confidential guidance and support to you throughout your studies.

We're proud to have been awarded the Buttle UK Quality Mark for our commitment to care leavers.

University of Westminster, Harrow Campus. A male, on the left (semi profile) showing something on a paper to a female student - close-up

How we can help

How do we define a care leaver?

We define a care leaver as a young person who has been in local authority care, including public care, foster care, semi-independent living or residential care homes.

We're committed to supporting care leavers by:

  • working with looked-after young people to help increase the number of care leavers entering higher education
  • raising awareness of the needs of students from care
  • enabling care leavers to make the most of their time in higher education and to complete their courses successfully
  • helping higher education providers to identify how best to support care leavers
  • contributing to a national framework to assist Local Authorities to fulfil their obligations to care leavers

Types of support

We offer a variety of support to care leavers and have provided details of just a few key areas below.

For details on all the support available, download our Information sheet for Care Leavers below.

When you arrive

At the beginning of each academic year, our Care Leaver Adviser will invite you to a meeting to explain the range of support that's available and will also send you seasonal newsletters throughout the academic year.

Student accommodation

As a care leaver, you'll be given priority consideration for student accommodation throughout your studies. 

Make sure that you ask for a letter from your Leaving Care team to confirm that you're a care leaver and require accommodation.

For more details, get in touch with our Student Accommodation team.

Tutorial support

University tutors can provide additional support – just speak to your personal tutor.

If you'd like help speaking with your tutor, just get in touch with Anne McGrath using the contact details at the bottom of this page. 

Financial support

Care Leavers' Bursary

If you're a home student, you can apply for a Care Leavers’ Bursary for each year of academic study. It’s worth £750 each year.

To apply, just get in touch with our Student Funding team on +44 (0)20 7911 5000 ext 66989 or email them at [email protected]


You may be eligible for a scholarship, such as the Postgraduate Care Leaver Scholarship.

To find out, get in touch with our Scholarships team on +44 (0)20 7911 5000 ext 66977 or email them at [email protected]

Managing your money

Our Financial Capability Adviser can help you organise and manage your finances. 

Contact our adviser on +44 (0)20 7911 5000 ext 66080 or at [email protected]

contact us

Call our dedicated team on:

+44 (0)20 7911 5000 ext 66080

[email protected]

[email protected]