Who we are

Our Student Advice team can help you with a range of queries and issues – from tips on managing your money and finding the right student funding, to advising you on visas for the UK, immigration and adjusting to life in the UK.

If things go wrong, we can also liaise with external organisations on your behalf, such as Student Finance England, the Home Office or benefit departments.

Our advisers are trained professionals and adhere to the UKCISA/AISA Code of Ethics.

University of Westminster, Cavendish Campus Open Day 2014: a female student (back turned) talks to a male staff member at an information desk with a banner reading Student Finance

How we can help

We offer support on a wide range of issues and have included below just a few of the key areas that we offer support in.


If you'd like to speak with one of our advisers to talk about your situation, you can book an appointment online via Engage or email us at [email protected].

We offer appointments by phone or online via Microsoft Teams.


Book an appointment

General enquiries

For general queries, you can either email us at [email protected] or book a phone or Microsoft Teams appointment via EngageGo to appointments page on Engage.

Areas of support

We offer advice on a variety of issues, including the below.

Student funding

We can advise you on any funding you may be eligible for, such as Student Finance England (SFE) funding, state benefits and postgraduate loans.

If required, we can also liaise with external organisations, such as SFE, on your behalf.

For more details, have a look at our Fees and funding pages and Finance pages.

State benefits

If you're a parent or disabled student, contact us to check whether you can continue to claim benefits while you study – not all students can continue to claim.

Tuition fees

If you’re unsure whether you should be paying the international or Home tuition fee rate, get in touch and we can check for you.

More details on fees can be found on our Fees for current students page.

Managing your money

Living in London can be expensive, so if you need help putting together a budget plan or finding ways to save money, get in touch with us.

For tips on budgeting and students discounts, see our Finance pages and Affordable London page.

EU nationals

If you’re an EU national, we can advise you on your funding entitlement and residence options for you and your family members.

For more information, see our Information for EU nationals page.

Withdrawing from or interrupting studies

If you’re thinking about taking a break from or leaving your studies, there may be student funding and fee implications you need to be aware of. Talk to us before making a decision.

For more details, have a look at our Interrupting or withdrawing from studies page.

Repeating a year

If you need to repeat a year of your course, contact us to discuss how this may affect  SFE funding and Tier 4 visas.

Visas and immigration

Get in touch with us if you have any questions about your UK student visa application or the supporting documents needed, working in the UK, police registration or settling into UK life.

Student advisers are the only members of University staff who are authorised to provide UK immigration and visa advice.

More information on visas can be found on our Visas pages and the UKCISA website.

Other support

For more details on how we support you and keep your details safe, see the following key documents:

Contact us

When emailing us, make sure you include your Student ID number.

[email protected]