The University of Westminster is a global university and has a strong and historic commitment to promoting equality and embracing diversity. As a place to work or to study, we strive to strengthen our reputation as a welcoming and inclusive organisation. We are committed to our European partners and to supporting our European staff and students.

Even though the UK has started the process of leaving the EU, there are no immediate changes in the way that people move, trade or study. It is important to emphasise that until the UK formally leaves the EU, EU law will continue to apply within the UK.

The UK Government has confirmed that EU nationals and their family members applying for university places to start in the 2018–19 academic year, as well as students starting a course in 2019–20, will remain eligible to pay ‘Home’ rate fees and remain eligible for financial support.

Please find below some frequently asked questions and answers for EU students in the UK, as well as links to further information. These will be updated as new information arises.

Do I need a visa to come to the UK?

You do not need to apply for a visa if you are an EU national or a national of Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein or Switzerland. If you have dual nationality (EU and Non-EU) then you can enter the UK with a valid EU/EEA/Swiss passport. You do not need to obtain a Tier 4 visa.

I am coming to start a course in September 2018. What documents do I need to bring to the UK?

If you are an EU national, a national of Norway, Iceland or Lichtenstein (EEA) or a Swiss national you can enter the UK with either your passport or your National Identity Card. Once you have enrolled on a full-time course at the University you will then be exercising your right of residence as a student.

The UK Government is currently reviewing residence rights for EU citizens and their family members. At the time of writing (June 2018) EU/EEA and Swiss national students need to show that they have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) while they are in the UK. You can show that you have CSI by one of the following:

  • Having a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This must be obtained from your EEA country of residence and is sufficient evidence of CSI if you will only be in the UK temporarily (for example, to study a course). Each country has its own information on how to apply for the EHIC card. The EHIC card will only be valid for showing that you have CSI if you do not intend to stay permanently in the UK
  • A certificate showing that you have entitlement to healthcare through insurance obtained in another country (forms S1, S2 and S3) or
  • By taking out a private Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) policy. The cost of this will depend on your individual circumstances. There are several insurance companies who offer CSI policies and it may be preferable to take out insurance in the UK once you have arrived. Travel insurance is not enough

If you are not able to obtain an EHIC card or S1, S2 or S3 form in your home country, for example because you are not normally resident in that country or you are not covered when you are studying outside your country, then you must take out a private CSI policy in case you fall ill while in the UK.

You will be expected to show a valid EHIC card for National Health Service (NHS) treatment in the UK. For further information about NHS treatment, please visit NHS Choices.

For more information on Comprehensive Sickness Insurance, please visit the UKCISA website and see the information on residence cards and health care below.

Residence cards

You do not need any additional documentation, but it can be helpful to apply for a Registration Certificate to prove your right of residence. You need to apply on form EEA (QP).

Under current rules, you can apply for the Right of Permanent Residence after you have lived in the UK for at least 5 years and you must show that you and any dependants had Comprehensive Sickness Insurance or that you were exercising a right of residence as a migrant worker.

If you are working in the UK during your studies, you may be able to apply for a residence certificate as an EEA migrant worker instead of as a student. Migrant workers are not required to show evidence of Comprehensive Sickness Insurance. Please read the Home Office guidance on EEA ‘qualified persons’.

Also make sure that you keep evidence of the date of your arrival in the UK and evidence of your continuous residence since your arrival. You will need independent evidence of your residence for Residence Permits and for Student Finance England funding.

The Government has now published information on proposed changes to the residence rights of EU nationals who have been living in the UK for 5 years or longer and the changes alter the CSI requirement. The new system will start to be implemented from the end of 2018. Details are in The EU Settlement Scheme, Statement of Intent.

How will Brexit affect my student finance?

The UK Government has confirmed that EU nationals and their family members who are currently attending a degree level course or who start a degree course in 2018–19 or in academic year 2019–20 will continue to be eligible to pay the home rate of tuition fee and for Student Finance England funding (SFE) for the duration of their course. SFE will assess funding applications against existing eligibility criteria, and will provide loans and grants in the normal way.

You can find more information on what student finance you may be eligible for and how to apply on our funding page for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals. If you intend to work in the UK while you are studying, make sure you arrive in England before 1 September 2018 (or by 1 September 2019 if you are starting a course in September 2019) and keep evidence of this. You can read more about this on the UKCISA website.

Will I pay the Home or Overseas rate of tuition fees?

As long as you are an EU national and you have lived in the EU/EEA or Switzerland for the last 3 consecutive years before starting your course at the University of Westminster you should be assessed for the Home/EU rate of fees. If you are an undergraduate student you will also normally be entitled to a government loan to pay the tuition fees. If you are a postgraduate student you can apply for the new postgraduate loan.

If you are an EU national but you do not normally live in the EU/EEA or Switzerland, it is likely that you will be charged Overseas fees and you will not be eligible for the undergraduate fee loan or the postgraduate loan.

If you are an EEA national (Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein) or a Swiss national, you will normally be charged Overseas fees and will not be eligible for the undergraduate or postgraduate loan unless you, your parents or partner are EEA/Swiss nationals and are working in the UK and you are resident in the UK by 1 September of the year you start your course.

Should I open a bank account?

We recommend that you open a UK bank account soon after you arrive in the UK. It is the safest and most effective way of managing your money and making and receiving payments and can also be used to show evidence of your residence in the UK. For more information on how to open a bank account please visit

What documents will I need to show at enrolment?

At your enrolment session, you’ll need to bring your original passport or National Identity card as well as your original degree or diploma certificates and certificates for any other academic qualifications your Admissions office has asked you for. If you have applied for a Student Finance Services EU Fee Loan or Student Finance England funding, you will also need to bring evidence of this.

Can I work in the UK?

All EU, EEA and Swiss nationals can work in the UK without restriction.

If you have not worked in the UK before you will need to apply for a National Insurance number. Students pay income tax in the same way as other workers, but often do not earn enough to have to pay tax. The tax-free allowance for a single person in 2018–19 is £11,850 (April to April). When you start work for the first time you will need to ask your employer to fill in a ‘starter checklist’ for you so that you don’t pay too much tax. You can find out more from

If you work in the UK, you may qualify for additional Student Finance England funding as long as you are working enough hours and as long as you are resident in the UK by 1 September of the year you start your course.

Can I get medical treatment in the UK?

As long as you have your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued in your home country, you will be eligible for National Health Service treatment while you are in the UK.

If you do not have an EHIC card and cannot get one, please look at the information in the section ‘I am coming to start a course in September 2018. What documents do I need to bring? to the UK’.

For more information on medical treatment please visit the UKCISA website and NHS Choices.

Last updated: July 2018
Student Advice