Any health and safety incident that occurs on University premises, or during the course of University-organised activities (such as field trips) must be reported to the University Safety, Health and Wellbeing Team.

Use the online Incident/Accident reporting system to report incidents, accidents or near misses.

What you should report

Some of the types of incidents that must be reported are as follows:

  • Injury – an unplanned, uncontrolled event which causes physical injury
  • Damage or loss – an unplanned, uncontrolled event which causes damage or loss but not physical injury
  • Near misses – an unplanned, uncontrolled event with the potential to cause injury, damage or other loss
  • Taken ill at work – staff/student requiring first aid attention on University premises (note that our academic regulations must also be adhered to)

Serious incidents must be reported immediately by dialing 5555 from a campus landline phone, or by contacting reception.

If you have not already reported the fault, please report it to through Estates Self Service Live.

If you have noticed anything broken or faulty in your work/study environment, then you need to report it to Estates Planning & Services who can get it fixed quickly and effectively.  Use the Estates Helpdesk to report your problem and get it repaired.  Examples of issues that need reporting in this way include:

  • A general fault problem with the building maintenance such as leaks, lighting, heating, cooling etc
  • Students living in Halls of Residence who have a problem with their living space or communal areas

If the issue is safety-related, please report it to a member of staff in the first instance.

Once you have entered the required details in the system, the screen will display an incident reference number, and the option to print a PDF version of your report. The Safety, Health and Wellbeing team are also able to provide a copy of your report if you need it.

The Safety, Health and Wellbeing (SHW) Team are located on the 2nd floor of Cavendish House, 101 New Cavendish Street.  They can also be contacted by email on [email protected] or by phone on 0207 911 5107.

Printed forms

You can also get a printed version of the Incident/Accident reporting form from the reception in your building. Completed printed forms (all three copies) should be placed in a sealed envelope and sent immediately to: The SHW Team, Second Floor Cavendish House, 101 New Cavendish Street, London W1W 6XH.

The form should be completed by the affected/injured person, their representative, line manager or a witness to the incident. If a first aider attended, he/she should complete the form.

What happens after the incident/accident has been reported?

Once you have reported your accident, incident or near miss, it will be reviewed by a member of the Safety, Health and Wellbeing team. You may be contacted and asked to provide further information as part of an investigation.

Why report?

The University has a legal duty to document workplace incidents/accidents and to report certain types of accidents, injuries and dangerous occurrences arising out of its work activity to the relevant enforcing authority.

Incidents and accidents will be investigated to establish what lessons can be learned to prevent such incidents/accidents re-occurring.

For issues with your physical environment and the University buildings, please report it using Estates Self Service Live.

For help with using the system please read the user guide.