Who we are

Starting university is an exciting time, but can also be challenging, particularly if you're studying without the support and approval of a family network. So to help you settle in and make the most of your time here, we've created a bespoke package of support and guidance for you.

Our support for estranged students is provided by the Student Advice team and Anne McGrath, one of our student advisers. They are here to provide confidential advice and assistance throughout your studies.

We're proud to have been awarded the Stand Alone Pledge logo for our commitment to estranged students, more details of which can be found on the Stand Alone website.

University of Westminster, Harrow Campus. A male, sitting on the left, talking to a male student sitting on the right

How we can help

How do we define an estranged student?

We define an estranged student as a young person, under the age of 25, who has been classified as an independent student on the grounds of estrangement by Student Finance England (SFE).

For more details on estrangement and how SFE assesses estrangement, download our Estrangement information sheet (PDF) below.

We're committed to supporting estranged students by:

  • raising awareness of the needs of estranged students
  • enabling estranged students to make the most of their time in higher education and to complete their course successfully
  • helping higher education providers to identify how best to support estranged students through our commitment to the Stand Alone Pledge.

Types of support

We offer a variety of support to estranged students and have provided details of the key support below.

Financial support

Our team of Student Advisers can help you claim your full funding entitlement and can also help you manage your money effectively.

For more details, including contact details, visit our Student Advice page.

Estranged student’s bursary

If you're under the age of 25 and have been classified as an independent student on the grounds of estrangement by Student Finance England, you may be eligible to apply for a University bursary of £1,000 per year.

To check whether you're eligible, get in touch with our Student Advice Team at [email protected]

Student accommodation

Year-round accommodation is offered in University halls of residence, including over the summer vacation, with a deposit waiver for students who have been assessed by SFE as estranged.

For more details, including contact details, visit our Student accommodation pages.

Accommodation scholarships

We have a partnership with the Unite Foundation, which offers a number of full accommodation scholarships for care leavers and estranged students. The deadline for applying for scholarships for the academic year 20–21 is 27 May 2020.

Please note: The scholarship cycle for 2021/22 is currently suspended while the Unite Foundation currently responds and absorbs the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic on their scholarship students and university partners. You can keep up to date with the latest information on the​ Unite Foundation website.

Employability support

If you need help finding work or exploring careers, get in touch with Edmund Lewis in our Career and Employability Service at [email protected].

Further support

Contact us

Call our dedicated team on:

+44 (0)20 7911 5000 ext 66080

[email protected]