Interrupting or withdrawing from studies

If you are going through a difficult period with your studies, there are ways that we can help you.

Withdrawing from or interrupting your studies may sometimes seem like a quick and easy solution to your problems, but it may not be the best option for you and it's important you consider the alternatives.

Important: Withdrawing from or interrupting your studies may have an effect on your student funding, tuition fee liability and, if applicable, your student visa - read through our guidance and talk to our Student Advisers if you have any other questions.

Home (UK) students only. Under the terms of the Distance Selling Regulations you have a right of cancellation of up to 14 days from the date of your enrolment (which is the date you enrol in person at the University). Subject to the date of receipt of formal written notification of withdrawal by the appropriate faculty registry within this time frame, there will be no tuition fee liability and any fees paid will be refunded.

What's the difference between interrupting your studies and withdrawing?

If you interrupt your your studies, it means you are taking time out from your course with the intention of rejoining it again at the next available opportunity (usually within one year).

Whilst interrupted, you are still considered to be a student for most purposes, but Student Finance England funding is not usually available during these periods.

If you withdraw from your studies, it means you are leaving your course completely, with no intention of returning at a later date.

When you have withdrawn, you will no longer be considered a student and if you decide you'd like to study with us again, you will need to complete the admissions process again. 

Who should I speak to?

If you are struggling with your work and need academic advice, contact your Personal Tutor. If you are unsure who your Personal Tutor is, get in touch with the faculty's Senior Tutor or speak to your Faculty Registry Office.

If you are having personal difficulties that you don't want to discuss with your Personal Tutor, make an appointment with our counsellors to talk about the issues in confidence.

If your problems relate to your finances, funding or immigration status, speak to our Student Advisers.

How do I withdraw from or interrupt my studies?

If you have explored all your options and decide that you'd like to withdraw or interrupt your studies, you'll need to complete the Withdrawal from Studies from or interruption of studies form and submit it to your Faculty Registry Office.

Once your form has been processed, you'll receive confirmation of your interruption or withdrawal from your Faculty Registry Office. If you do not receive confirmation it's vital that you contact the office to make sure your form has been received.

You will also need to notify Student Finance England (SFE), if applicable, that you are interrupting or withdrawing from your course, so that they can revise your funding entitlement and stop any funding payments that are due to be paid. If you are interrupting your your studies as a result of health issues, you should let SFE know, as your student funding should be allowed to continue for 60 days from the date of your interruption. You may be asked to provide evidence.

Frequently asked questions

Have a look at our FAQs.

University Regulations, Policies & Procedures

Check the academic regulations for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Giving advice to a prospective student

Student Advice

Get advice on a variety of practical matters, including funding and visas.