If you're a student on Tier 4 visa, it's important to be aware of certain information before travelling abroad as there may be limitations or additional visas that you need to obtain.

Travelling during your course

You may need a Schengen visa to visit other countries in Europe. Read more about Schengen visas.

Please take very great care of your passport and Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) while you are travelling. Each year many students are pick-pocketed or lose their BRP when travelling. You will not be able to travel back to the UK until you have a replacement passport and then apply for a ‘replacement BRP’ visa to allow you to re-enter the UK. The new visa takes time and costs £169.00. Meanwhile you will be stuck outside the UK. Once you get back to the UK you will need to apply for a new BRP within 1 month of your return and also have to pay a fee for this application. This also takes time.

Read about what to do if you lose your BRP.

Travelling after the end of your course

Your Tier 4 visa allows you to travel out of the UK and back while you are studying on your course. If your course is 12 months or more, you will normally be allowed to remain in the UK for 4 months after your course end date. If you are studying a pre-sessional English course you will normally be allowed to remain in the UK for 1 month after your course ends.

If you leave the UK once you have completed your course and then travel back to the UK you will no longer be entering the UK for the purpose your visa was issued for (ie study at the University of Westminster). You may be refused entry because of this. We do not recommend that you travel outside the UK during the time at the end of your course.

If you decide that you must travel then you may be allowed back in to the UK on your current Tier 4 visa if you can show that

  • you will be attending the graduation ceremony, in which case you will need a letter from the Ceremonies Office confirming the date of your graduation ceremony
  • you will be returning to your course at the University of Westminster (eg you will be retaking a module on your course), in which case you will need a new Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) which will confirm your new course end date. You should also carry financial evidence to show that you meet the Tier 4 Visa requirements for your further period of study
  • You are moving on to a new higher level course having successfully completed the course your visa was issued for, eg Undergraduate to Masters. In this case you will need to carry the CAS for your new course and financial evidence to show you meet the Tier 4 Visa requirements

You must carry any letter or new CAS in your hand luggage so that you can show this to the immigration officer when you come back to the UK

Travel outside the UK after the course end date is at your own risk as there is no guarantee of re-entry to the UK

For further help and advice on any of this information please contact Student Advice.