What is a CAS?

CAS stands for 'Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies'. The CAS is an electronic record that the University produces for the Home Office and it is required for your Tier 4 visa application. The University will produce a CAS for you and email you your CAS number and CAS statement, listing the information that has been sent to the UK Visas and Immigration Department. You will need this information to make your Tier 4 visa application.

Your CAS statement lists:

  • your CAS number
  • the start and end date of your course
  • our Sponsor License Number
  • our Sponsor License Address (our registered address)
  • the address of your primary site of study
  • the original qualification certificates or transcripts, which you will need to include with your visa application (remember they must be the original documents – not photocopies – and if not in English, they must have translations that meet the Home Office criteria). If you are continuing on your existing course at the University, you will not normally need to include certificates for your qualifications
  • confirmation that your course represents academic progress if you have already studied in the UK
  • confirmation of your English language ability
  • the fees for your course
  • the fees you have already paid
  • your name as it appears on your passport
  • your passport number
  • your scholarship information (if applicable)

How do I get a CAS?

New students

New students will need to pay a deposit before we can issue a CAS, unless you fall into one of the categories below, in which case you will not need to pay a deposit and will receive a CAS once all relevant information has been provided:

  • you are a US/Canadian Loan recipient
  • you have had your University of Westminster fees waived
  • you have a University of Westminster scholarship to cover your full fees
  • you are being fully sponsored by the Saudi Arabian Government and have provided a sponsorship letter

For more information about international student deposits, visit our Payment methods and refunds page.

When the University receives your deposit, we will send you an email asking you to complete an online portal with certain information (eg your name as it appears on your passport and details of any previous study in the UK). You must also upload financial evidence proving that you meet the Tier 4 money/maintenance requirements. See Maintenance and Fees and the 28-day rule.

When we have received this information, and within 10 days, we will produce your CAS and send you a record of the information we have given to the Home Office. This is called a CAS statement and you will be able to use the information to make a Tier 4 student visa application. If you have not provided financial documents which meet the Tier 4 Visa requirements, then we will refuse to issue you a CAS.

Note: Please do not attempt to apply for your visa with your offer letter as you will be refused a Tier 4 visa. Also, if you have a Tier 4 visa for another college, school or university, we cannot enrol you unless you can show us evidence that you have applied for a new Tier 4 visa for the University of Westminster.

Contact your Admissions Office for further information about applying for a CAS before your course starts and contact

Current students already studying at the University

You will need to complete the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies form and submit it to your Faculty Registry Office. The form will be processed by a separate office, which will then email you your CAS number (forms are usually processed in 1 week).

Note that a CAS cannot be produced if you owe fees or have not met your instalment payment dates.

If you have any queries about a CAS request form that you have submitted, email us at [email protected].

Pre-sessional students

If you are accepting a place on the pre-sessional course that leads to a degree course, you will need to pay your deposit of £4,000 at the same time as paying the pre-sessional course fee.

When your payment is processed, you will be sent an email asking for information that we need in order to produce your CAS number.

Please check your CAS statement carefully to make sure your personal information is correct. Note that your name should be shown exactly as it appears on your passport.

When you apply to extend your Tier 4 (general) student visa for your degree course, you will need a second CAS, which will also confirm the deposit you have paid.

In addition to the information above, your CAS statement will include:

  • financial information relating to the pre-sessional course
  • the title of your course and type of qualification you will be studying towards
  • the fees for the pre-sessional course
  • a list of the academic qualifications that the University has used to offer you a place on the pre-sessional course, including your Secure English Language Test (eg IELTS+)
  • a statement showing that the course represents academic progression from any previous course you have studied in the UK

Things to be aware of

The CAS will include information about the tuition fee for the year in which you are studying and how much of the tuition fee you have already paid. If you still have fees to pay you will need to show that you have enough money in your bank account to pay your remaining fees as well as money for your maintenance. You must have held this money for a minimum of 28 days on the date you apply for your visa.

  • If any of the information in your CAS statement is incorrect, please email the details to your admissions office and send a copy to
  • A CAS will expire after six months if it is not used and so you will need to ask for a new CAS
  • If you have had a visa refusal you will need a new CAS to apply again
  • If we have issued you with a CAS and you do not enrol within 10 days of your course start date we will report you to UK Visas and Immigration
  • If you know you are going to be late to enrol in your course, please contact your admissions office to see if you will still be allowed to start
  • If your visa is refused please email and also inform your admissions office. If you want a new CAS you will need to send a scanned copy of your refusal as well as scanned copies of the new evidence you will be providing for your second Tier 4 Visa application
  • If you decide not to come or you wish to defer until next year please tell the admissions office immediately so we can pass this information on to the Home Office