1. What is a CAS?

1.1 The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is an electronic document which contains information on an applicant which has been uploaded to the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) Department’s management system.

1.2 In order to apply for a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, applicants need to obtain a CAS from the university at which they wish to study.

1.3 Prospective students should refer to the information for Tier 4 Students published on our Visas pages

1.4 Each CAS has a unique number and prospective students must have a CAS number before they can apply for a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK.

1.5 The University may refuse to issue a CAS if it is considered likely that the student’s visa application will be refused.

2. Who needs a CAS?

2.1 Any student who requires a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK will require a CAS.

3. What is required to gain a CAS?

3.1 A CAS will be produced for a student subject to the following requirements:

  • an unconditional offer of a place has been accepted
  • the required deposit has been paid or if the student is in receipt of a University of Westminster Scholarship covering at least 50% of the tuition fees or they are in receipt of a scholarship/sponsorship from an approved 3rd party granting them exemption from the deposit requirement
  • the prospective student has submitted their passport
  • the qualifications stated in the application and/or offer have been awarded (applicant has uploaded certificate or final transcript on request)
  • verification of English Language ability
  • verification of previous study in the UK (see below)
  • evidence of funding being in the student’s bank account must be supplied if requested
  • any previous leave to remain in the UK including through other routes other than Tier 4, has been declared
  • Confirmation that you have not overstayed on a previous UK visa

4. Deposit

4.1 New students will need to pay a deposit before we can issue a CAS, unless you fall into one of the categories below:

  • UoW scholarships covering 50% or more of total fees
  • British Council Chevening Scholarship
  • Canadian State Loan processed by the University of Westminster
  • US Loan (approved by Student Funding Office)
  • Saudi Cultural Bureau sponsorship. On receipt of an offer from Westminster, the sponsorship Letter of Financial Guarantee from the Saudi Government should be sent by e-mail to [email protected]
  • British Council scholarship
  • European Commission Scholarships
  • UN scholarships
  • Jean Monnet Scholarship
  • Sponsorship from Turkish Ministry of National Education
  • Trinidad and Tobago Ministry of Public Administration scholarship
  • Kuwaiti Cultural Office sponsorship
  • OCSC Scholarship from Thailand
  • Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) Thailand Scholarship
  • Chechen Ministry of Education and Science Scholarship (through Study Group International)
  • Embassy of UAE official sponsorship letter

4.2 If you fall into one of the exclusions above you will not need to pay a deposit and will receive a CAS once all relevant information has been provided and approved.

5. Previous study in the UK

5.1 In order to issue a CAS to an applicant, the University needs to be assured that you have either not studied previously in the UK, or, that there is clear academic progression.  In most cases this will mean that you will be progressing to a new course at a higher academic level.

5.2 In some cases applicants can be issued a CAS for a course at the same academic level if the new course is related to the previous course for which you were given Tier 4 leave (meaning that it is either connected to the previous course, part of the same subject group or involves deeper specialisation); or your previous and new course combined, support your career aspirations!

5.3 A CAS will not be issued for a course at a lower academic level.

6. Evidence of ability in the English Language

6.1 Most applicants requiring a CAS must demonstrate their English language ability with a Secure English Language Test. The most common is IELTS and the Certificate needs to be no more than two years old.

6.2 If you are a national of a majority English-speaking country you may not need to provide evidence of your English Language capability. Please see the UKVI guidance at GOV.UK.

6.3 If you have completed a degree level course in a majority English speaking country you are also exempt.

6.4 If you have studied in a majority English speaking country, but not at degree level or above then you cannot use this code.

7. Pre-sessional students

7.1 If you are accepting a place on the pre-sessional course that leads to a degree course, you will need to pay your deposit of £4,000 at the same time as paying the pre-sessional course fee.

7.2 When your payment is processed, you will be sent an email asking for information that we need in order to produce your CAS number.

7.3 When you apply to extend your Tier 4 (General) Student Visa for your degree course, you will need a second CAS, which will also confirm the deposit you have paid.

7.4 In addition to the information above, your CAS statement will include:

  • financial information relating to the pre-sessional course
  • the title of your course and type of qualification you will be studying towards
  • the fees for the pre-sessional course
  • a list of the academic qualifications that the University has used to offer you a place on the pre-sessional course, including your Secure English Language Test (eg IELTS+)
  • a statement showing that the course represents academic progression from any previous course you have studied in the UK

8. Things to be aware of

8.1 The CAS will include information about the tuition fee for the year in which you are studying and how much of the tuition fee you have already paid. If you still have fees to pay you will need to show that you have enough money in your bank account to pay your remaining fees as well as money for your maintenance. You must have held this money for a minimum of 28 days on the date you apply for your visa.

8.2 If any of the information in your CAS statement is incorrect, please email the details to your admissions office and send a copy to [email protected]

8.3 The University will not issue a CAS more than 3 months in advance.

8.4 A CAS will expire if it is not submitted as part of an application.

8.5 If you know you are going to be late to enrol in your course, please contact your admissions office to see if you will still be allowed to start at a later date.

8.6 If we have issued you with a CAS and you do not enrol within ten days of your course start date we will report your non-enrolment to the UK Visas and Immigration Department

8.7 If your visa is refused please email [email protected] and also inform your admissions office.

8.8 If you want a new CAS you will need to also send a scanned copy of your refusal as well as scanned copies of the new evidence you will be providing for your second Tier 4 Visa application. Please be aware that the University may not support a second application.

8.9 The University will not normally issue a new CAS to applicants who have been refused on the grounds of credibility.

8.10 If you decide not to take up your place or you wish to defer until next year please tell the Admissions office now so we can pass this information on to the Home Office.