UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) has approved online learning for the 2020/21 academic year. This means that you can study online for now. If you have a Student Visa you can also carry out your online learning from outside the UK if you prefer.

The option to study by distance learning while on a Student Visa in 2020/21 is a temporary concession and we are currently expecting students on courses that continue past September 2021 will need to attend on campus in the UK.

While studying remotely, it is important to keep up with your studies and with any activities on which your progression is reliant, including exams and assessments. If ill health, quarantine conditions or other restrictions imposed on you during the pandemic prevent you from keeping up with your studies, then you must contact the Visa Compliance team at to explain your circumstances, including estimated dates for your return to study.

Contact details

It is vital that you keep your contact details up to date. If you are studying outside the UK make sure that your contact details reflect this. If you are in the UK then your term time address must show your current address in the UK. Find out how to update your contact details.

Travelling to and entering the UK

If you decide to come to the UK please ensure that you follow UK Government advice regarding travel. Once you arrive in the UK you must follow the quarantine requirements.

When to return to the UK

If you are completing your course this year the latest date you can arrive on your current visa is 21 June 2021. If your course will continue into the next academic year then you must arrive by 27 September 2021. You can travel to the UK any time up until this date.

If you will be completing your course this academic year and intend to apply under the Graduate Route then information about when to arrive is described on our Graduate route page under ‘Important Information for Current Students’.

Expired 30 or 90 day vignette

If the expiry date on your vignette (the visa sticker in your passport) will expire before the date you intend to travel, then you will need to get a replacement vignette first. Apply for a new vignette. You can also find advice and guidance about this process on the UKCISA website.

If you are completing your course this year and intend to apply for the new Graduate Immigration Route visa once you complete then you must arrive in the UK by 21 June 2021.