English language requirements

If English is not your first language, you will need to provide official proof of your English language ability. Proof of English must be in the form of a recent IELTS, Pearson, TOEFL or Cambridge English Language Examination score. Please note that a TOEFL test cannot be accepted if you need to apply for a Tier 4 visa.

Students who are applying from an Erasmus+ exchange partner, and hold an EU/EEA passport, are able to provide evidence of English language ability in the form of a formal letter from their home university outlining their language ability.

Tier 4 Visa Requirements

If you will require a Tier 4 visa (ie you are a non-European Economic Area student who will study with us for more than 6 months), the Home Office requires that you achieve a minimum score of IELTS 5.5 in each of the four language components (listening, writing, speaking, and reading). The University of Westminster in addition requires that you have an overall score of IELTS 6.0.

Please note that not all tests can be accepted for Tier 4 purposes. The University of Westminster does not accept TOEFL for Tier 4 purposes. More details can be found on our Visa requirements page.

International students reading a map

Study abroad

Take a look at our varied study abroad programmes including our Summer School.


Contact us

Who to contact for more information about exchanges.