If you're considering full degree study (eg studying for a BA, BSc, LLB, LLM, MA or MSc), you will need to meet certain English language requirements.
Below is a list of our English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study. For some courses, you may need to have higher grades which will be listed in the 'Entry requirements' section of the course pages.
As a University we are very aware of the severe disruption faced by many students as they experience School and University closures and the closure of English Language teaching and testing centres.
As a result, we have implemented a number of changes to our English language requirements for students wanting to start their studies with us in academic year 2020/2021. This includes
- a reduction in many of our IELTS score requirements
- an extension of the tests we will accept as proof of English ability
- acceptance of test scores across more than one test
These changes have been updated on the individual course pages.
We run a pre-sessional English course for students who need to improve their English proficiency before starting their Bachelor's or Master's programme at Westminster. For students wanting to enrol on their degree course with us in September 2020 we will be running the summer Pre-sessional programme online. This is a change from previous years so please visit the pre-sessional webpages webpages for details of entry requirements, start dates and course information. A list of accepted English language tests for entry to the online course is provided in the section ‘Pre-sessional Entry Tests’
- Undergraduate Bachelor's degrees – 6.0 overall with a minimum 5.5 in each component
- Master's degrees – 6.0 overall with a minimum 5.5 in each component. Some courses require 6.5 or higher overall and component scores. Please check the detailed information provided in the 'Entry requirements' section of our course pages
- Research degrees (MPhil/PhD) – 6.5 with a minimum 6.0 in each component. Some research degrees require 7.0 overall. Please check the research degrees pages for further information
IELTS Indicator: This test is available for a limited time while IELTS testing is currently suspended due to COVID-19. Westminster will be accepting this test for entry to the online pre-sessional course.
We accept TOEFL (IBT) including the new ‘Special Home Edition’ for students requiring a Tier 4 visa. Please note that for 2020/21 entry we are able to accept scores across more than one test, to include TOELF ETS ‘My Best Scores’.
- Bachelor's and Masters degrees (requiring IELTS 6.0 overall) – 78 overall with a minimum of 17 in Listening, and Writing, 18 in Reading and 20 in Speaking
- Master's degrees (requiring IELTS 6.5 overall) – 88 overall with a minimum of 17 in Listening, 21 in Writing, 18 in Reading and 20 in Speaking
- Master's degrees (requiring IELTS 7.0 overall) – 92 overall with a minimum of 20 in Listening, 24 in Writing, 19 in Reading and 20 in Speaking
Pearson PTE Academic
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees (requiring IELTS 6.0 overall)– 54 average with 51 in each component
- Master's degrees (requiring IELTS 6.5 overall) – 58 average with 51 in each component
- Master's degrees (requiring IELTS 7.0 overall) – 64 average with 55 in each component
Cambridge Assessment English:
- Bachelor's and Master’s degrees (requiring IELTS 6.0 overall) – C1 Advanced: Advanced and the Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) / C2 Proficiency: Proficiency and the Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): 169 overall with a minimum of 162 in each component
- Master's degrees requiring IELTS 6.5 overall – C1 Advanced: Advanced and the Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) / C2 Proficiency: Proficiency and the Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): 176 overall with a minimum 162 in each component (some schools require a minimum of 169 in each)
- Grade C or above in English Language or 4 in the GCSE 1–9 grading scale
- Grade C or above in English Language (first language) or 4 in the 1–9 grading scale
- Grade B in English Language (second language) or 5 / 6 in the 1–9 grading scale (subject to course requirements)
We do not accept iGCSE English Literature as proof of English language ability.
Undergraduate Bachelor's degrees:
- English A: Literature SL grade 4 or HL grade 4)
- English A: Language & Literature and English B (SL grade 5 or HL grade 4)
- English Literature & Performance (SL grade 5)
European Baccalaureate English
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees (requiring IELTS 6.0 overall) 6 in the European Baccalaureate English component
- Master's degrees (requiring 6.5), 6.5 in European Baccalaureate English component
LanguageCert International ESOL SELT (B2)
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees (requiring IELTS 6.0 overall) – Minimum 33 in each component from the B2 level Exam
- For Masters courses requiring IELTS 6.5 or above please contact the University for advice on the accepted test (B2 or C1 level)
DuoLingo English Test
We will accept DuoLingo English Tests for entry to the online pre-sessional course (see below). However. we will only accept DuoLingo test results as evidence of English language ability, for direct entry to a degree programme, for EU/EEA students or those not requiring a Tier 4 study visa.
The Duolingo English Test is an online English proficiency test taken via a computer with a camera. Please make sure that you list the University of Westminster so that your results are shared with us. Results are available within 48 hours of the test session.
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees (requiring IELTS 6.0 overall) – 100-110 overall
NCUK English for Academic Purposes Module
The university accepts the NCUK English for Academic Purposes Module as part of an NCUK qualification taught at a verified NCUK Study Centre or a UK based academic institution offering the module as part of a recognised university preparation course.
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees (requiring IELTS 6.0 overall) – 50-59% (Grade C) with minimum of 40-49% in each component
- Master's degrees (requiring 6.5) – 60-69% (Grade B) with minimum of 50-59% in each component
Pre-sessional entry tests
The tests listed below are all acceptable for entry onto our 10 week online pre-sessional course:
|IELTS Academic, IELTS Indicator and IELTS General||5.0 overall (W 5.0 and minimum 4.5 in other components)|
|TOEFL (iBT and ‘At Home’)||61 (R=13, L=14, S=18, W=16)|
|Cambridge English: Advanced and Proficiency||154|
|Duolingo English Test||85–95. Please ensure that your results can be shared with the University when you take the test.|
|LanguageCert (B1 version) to include speaking test||Minimum 33 in each component|
In addition the University may run PASSWORD / PASSWORD Solo or KITE English Language tests for entry to the pre-sessional or main degree programmes. Information about any upcoming test dates will be sent to applicants or published on our PASSWORD English Test page. Entry requirements mirror those listed for IELTS.
The University may consider the College English Test CET (6) as evidence of English for students from China wanting to take the online pre-sessional course. Students will be required to have taken the speaking test in addition to the standard test. Please contact [email protected] for further details.
Other accepted qualifications
The University recognises a number of different English Qualifications as demonstrating proof of English language ability. This includes the English Language component of most EU/EEA high school qualifications. Please visit the country pages for detailed information.
COVID-19 Update: The University will assess all applications and wherever possible, still confirm places for applicants on the basis of results in the English component of their high school qualification, even where they may not have the final year or final semester scores. Please contact admissions if you have any queries.
You may use one of the following English language qualifications in your tier 4 visa application as proof of meeting the Level B2 requirement. This list is not exhaustive and other qualification may be considered at point of application.
|Country||Qualification||Minimum grade requirements|
|Hong Kong||Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education, Core English||3|
|Malaysia||Cambridge English Language syllabus 1119 (SPM)||C|
UKVI list of majority English-speaking countries
If you are a national of one of the countries below, you do not need to prove your English language ability for Tier 4 purposes. You may also be exempt if you have an academic qualification equivalent to a UK Bachelor's degree from one of these countries.
UKVI English-speaking countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA.
Study Abroad, Exchange and Erasmus students
For exchange and Erasmus students, our English language requirements may be slightly different than for our full-time students.
English language support
We offer support in academic English to help you develop the language and study skills you'll need during your University studies.
Find out more about English language support at the University.
English programmes for research students
Details of English language requirements are provided on the research degrees pages.
Please note: research students will be required to do a compulsory English programme in the first semester but will not have to sit an additional English test.
Students with higher grades equivalent to IELTS 7 may not have to do the English programme.