How do I apply for an exchange programme at the University of Westminster?

When you have been successfully nominated, the Education Abroad Team will send you an email with a link to our online application form, which you'll then need to complete.

For more information on the application process, including deadlines, please see our how to apply page.

Please remember that you cannot apply to be an exchange student unless you are nominated by your university. You can, however, apply for one of our study abroad programmes.

Can I apply for an exchange programme if my university/institution does not have an agreement with the University of Westminster (eg Erasmus+ Freemover)?

No, you must come from one of our partner universities and be studying in a subject area covered by the exchange agreement.

If you're not eligible to apply for an exchange, you can still study with us for a summer, semester or year via one of our study abroad programmes.

Is there a deadline for application?

Yes, there are important deadlines that you need to be aware of.

The deadlines are provided on our how to apply page.

How do I apply for accommodation in student halls of residence?

You will have the chance to apply for halls of residence when completing our online application form.

The accommodation application deadlines are 1 May for an October start and 15 October for a January start.

Please be aware that there is no guarantee of accommodation, so you need to be prepared to find your own accommodation.

Advice on finding accommodation in London, as well as contact details for our accommodation team, can be found on our private rented accommodation page.

How do I get my Learning Agreement signed?

Your learning agreement must be signed by your Academic Exchange Co-ordinator (AEC) and any changes to the agreement, likewise must be authorised by the AEC at Westminster and your home school. Contact details for your AEC can be found in the below document.

Is there an orientation/welcome programme for exchange students?

Yes, the Education Abroad Team runs an orientation day in September and January (in addition to the school inductions).

If you cannot attend the orientation day, please email us at

Do I need a Student Visa?

For details on visas, check our visa requirements page.

What documentation should I bring with me?

Please bring copies of your learning agreement (where relevant) and module choices, as well as any acceptance letters, bank statements, documents required for your visa, etc, to present at immigration if you are requested to do so.

Insurance cover and health issues

We strongly advise that students ensure adequate insurance to cover accident, theft, travel, medical needs etc, before coming to the UK. This includes obtaining a Student EHIC card if you are from the EU.

EU (European Union) students are entitled to free NHS Healthcare, and it is recommended that you carry your Student European Health Insurance Card (Student EHIC). You will need to apply for your Student EHIC in your home country before you arrive in the UK if you have not already done so.

For Non-EU (European-Union) students:

Students registered for courses in the UK of 6 months or more are entitled to primary medical care provided by the National Health Service (NHS) and also emergency or immediately-required treatment. This applies to Study Abroad and Exchange students studying for a full academic year.

However, the NHS does charge for medicines, spectacles and eye care, and dental treatment (see below). In addition, you would not be covered for repatriation to your home country, so it is worth securing insurance even if you are in the UK for over 6 months.

If you are on a course of less than 6 months duration, you are not entitled to primary medical care. However, any overseas visitor is entitled to emergency or immediately – required treatment. Study Abroad and Exchange students seeking healthcare in the UK should be fully aware of the conditions of any health insurance that may come from their home schools or feeder institutions. You should find out about this before leaving for the UK. It is in your best interest to ensure you have the correct and adequate medical insurance before coming to the UK.

If you are taking brand name medication and may require further supplies while in the UK, find out the generic name before you leave home. A doctor's letter would also be useful. The charge for each individual prescription drug in the UK is approximately £8.60. Many medications are cheaper to buy over-the-counter (OTC), but antibiotics and strong painkillers are not available without a prescription. Dental treatment is only partially covered by the NHS, but unless you require dental surgery annual costs should not exceed £250. Opticians charge for eye tests (from £20) and spectacles (from £35).

Bringing medication into the UK

If you are taking medication, you must bring the official prescription in your name and we also recommend a letter from your doctor containing the following information:

  • Name of medication (generic and brand name)
  • Amount of medication
  • Length of time on medication
  • Nature of the condition that the medication is for.

For standard medication (ie non-controlled substances), you are allowed to bring in an unlimited amount. However, there may be a problem with bringing in a large amount of steroids. Please contact the Home Office for further advice. For controlled substances, such as morphine, you must apply for a license to bring the medicine into the country.

Contact: Home Office Drugs Branch
T: +44 (0)20 7035 0472

How many modules (classes) do students take at the University of Westminster?

Students take three modules (60 UK credits) per semester or six (120 UK credits) per year.

For more details, have a look at our Modules and credit page.

How many credits are University of Westminster modules worth?

Most modules run for one semester and are worth 20 UK Credits (10 ECTS Credits).

Students must check with their home university how many credits they need to gain while on exchange.

Students should not expect to take modules worth more than 60 UK credits per semester.

For more details, have a look at our Modules and credit page.

Can I study modules in a subject or college/school not covered by the exchange agreement with my home university/institution?

You can only take modules in the college/school or subject area covered by the exchange agreement we have with your home university.

Can I change my modules when I arrive at the University?

Depending on your subject area, you may be able to make module changes when you arrive, if there is an academic necessity to do so.

However, please note that this may not be possible, so ensure you seek advice from your home university regarding module choices before you submit your application form.

Where should I go when I first arrive?

You should attend the orientation day held at the beginning of the semester – and if you're unable to do so, please come and visit the Education Abroad Team.

Where do I get my student ID card?

You will get your student ID card during enrolment, from your Campus Registry Office.

All exchange students are required to enrol with their Campus Registry Office and more details are provided during the Orientation Day held by the Education Abroad Team.

Where do I get a copy of my timetable?

You will be able to access your timetable on the University of Westminster timetable site. We will explain how to do this in our pre-departure emails that we send you.

Where can I get a Certificate of Attendance and who can sign my Certificates of Arrival and Attendance?

The Campus Registry Office or the Education Abroad Team can sign these forms.

Who can I talk to about academic issues?

You will need to speak to your Academic Exchange Coordinator, whom you will meet at the faculty induction during the first week of the programme.

Where can I get information about private accommodation in London?

For information about accommodation in London, you can contact the Student Accommodation Team.