To make your application for an MPhil/PhD please work through the following steps:
- Check that you meet our entry requirements
- Check that your chosen School can provide supervision in your research area. You will be asked to confirm this in your application form
- Consider your funding options and check if we offer any studentships in your research area
- You are strongly encouraged to contact the PhD Coordinator for your research area before you apply. You can find their details on your relevant research area page.
When to apply
- You may apply at any time of the year, however, we ask that you refer to the recommended ‘Apply by dates’. These are the latest dates by which you will have enough time to complete all the pre-arrival stages in time for your preferred start date.
- You may start your Research Degree in either January or September.
- The assessment of your suitability and the availability of supervision can take some time, typically between two and three months from submission of your application.
- If you are an overseas applicant, we advise you to apply well in advance of your preferred start date as the Student Visa application process can be very lengthy.
- If you do miss the relevant ‘apply by’ date we will do our best to process your application in time, but you may have to consider a later starting date
|Your preferred start date||Recommended ‘apply by’ date if you are an Overseas applicant requiring a Student Visa||Recommended ‘apply by’ date if you are a Home applicant|
|1 May||1 May|
|January||31 August||31 August|
Final deadlines for 2021
These are the final deadlines for courses this year. We would recommend that you apply well in advance of the final deadlines.
- Application deadline (International & Home) – 31 May
- Meeting conditions and paying deposit (International) – 1 September
- Meeting conditions (Home) – 10 September
- Last date to request CAS (outside UK) – 10 September
- Last date to request CAS (inside UK) – 17 September
- Enrolment – 20 September
- First week of teaching – 27 September
- Last date for enrolment – 15 October
Completing your application
The requirements for each research degree will differ, but in general, you will need to submit:
- A research proposal, which should be between 2,000–3,500 words (four to seven pages) long. For guidance, please see our How to write your Research Proposal page.
- Scanned copies of all your relevant qualifications and transcripts (if your award is pending, please upload a transcript of the modules already undertaken)
- If your secondary level education was not conducted in the medium of English, proof of your English language abilities, for example IELTS or TOEFL certificates
- Two academic references - it is your responsibility to contact your referees and arrange for a reference letter to be provided whether by upload to your application form or emailed to [email protected].
Ready to apply?
Go to your research area and follow the link to your chosen course: