The mission of the University of Westminster Graduate School is to provide a distinctive, high-quality and vibrant experience for doctoral and postdoctoral researchers. The Graduate School supports comprehensive early career researcher development and promotes a strong culture of theoretical, practice-based and professional-doctoral research. It seeks to engage with relevant external stakeholders and contribute to the development of the future research agenda both nationally and internationally.
The Graduate School’s key objectives are:
- Producing well-rounded, professional researchers who contribute to the advancement of their fields of knowledge internationally, using a variety of relevant skills
- Providing doctoral researchers and postdoctoral fellows with an enriching, well-managed research experience set within a high-quality, vibrant research environment across the University
- Facilitating interdisciplinary research activity across research groups, Departments and Schools
- Promoting researcher development that engages in (two-way) knowledge transfer with various external actors, including research organisations, employers, policy-makers, non-governmental organisations, the media, and the wider public
- Consolidating institutional performance and quality assurance within an increasingly professionalised and competitive international market place for research degree and postdoctoral provision
- Supporting the University’s academic Schools in their development of pre-doctoral, doctoral and post-doctoral research capacity and activities
The Graduate School also delivers as a key objective the University-wide Doctoral Researcher Development Programme and contributes to and supports the ongoing personal and professional development of our researchers.
The Graduate School supports the continuing professional development of our supervisory teams and fosters a collaborative working culture. We encourage active engagement by students, supervisors and other internal stakeholders through the Graduate School Assembly and will ensure the opportunity for the student voice to be heard through the Research Students’ Forum.
The Graduate School also consults a selection of external experts in the form of an External Advisory Group. The membership is wide-ranging, comprising of key contacts from industry, education and Westminster alumni.