To be selected for an exchange, you need to be up to date with your studies and you need to be in good academic standing.
After researching your options, the next stage of your application will depend on the type of international experience you want to pursue. See the information below for application and eligibility criteria for the different opportunities available.
If you need further assistance you should contact a member of the Student Mobility Team, who will be more than happy to help.
Applying for an exchange or work placement overseas
Before you apply to go on exchange, you should
- Attend the application information session arranged by your Student Mobility Officer and find out which institutions are available for your course
- Research the institution or country you are interested in by going on the ‘Global Opportunities’ section on Blackboard
- Select 2 institutions to apply to
- Have a look at module catalogues on Blackboard for institutions you have selected and arrange a meeting with your Academic Exchange Coordinator to discuss which modules you can take during your exchange. You will need this information to complete the study plans
- Prepare your personal statement (in a Word document so that you can copy and paste into your application) explaining why you should be selected for the exchange programme
How to apply
If you plan to go on exchange or work placement, you'll need to:
- log in to My Student Record
- go to the ‘Overseas Opportunity Application’ tab at the top
- when you're on the ‘Overseas Opportunity Application’ page, click on ‘Create New Application’ to start completing your application
More details on how to apply can be found on the Global Opportunities Blackboard.
If you have any questions, please contact your Student Mobility Officer.
Selection will be based on (but not limited to):
- Academic excellence
- Compulsory part of a degree programme
- Strong personal statement
Deadlines to apply for exchanges and work placements
- 15 February 2018 – for those going on a Semester 1 or full-year exchange or work placement in 2018/19
- 15 June 2018 – for those going on a Semester 2 exchange or work placement in 2018/19 (note: the application will open in April 2018)
Applying for short-term opportunities overseas
How to apply
If you have a short-term opportunity that you wish to apply for or you have already secured your opportunity, you'll need to:
- register with us by going to My Student Record
- when you log-in, go to the ‘Overseas Opportunity Application’ tab at the top
- when you are on the ‘Overseas Opportunity Application’ page, click on ‘Create New Application’ to register
Deadline to register for short-term opportunities
Anytime before starting the overseas opportunity but at least one month prior to the start date so that you could receive important pre-departure support (eg travel insurance, funding, etc).
For information about other opportunities, please speak to your Student Mobility Officer.
Students with additional needs
If you have additional needs and have found an exchange that fits with your degree, the first step is to discuss it with your course tutor or your academic exchange coordinator to find out what support they can give you.
You can also contact our Disability Learning Support team for confidential advice.
The Student Mobility Team would be happy to meet with you and help you prepare for your exchange.
If you are going on an Erasmus+ exchange, you can apply for additional funding on top of the standard Erasmus+ grant to help with additional needs. Contact the Student Mobility Team for more information.
Once you have been confirmed to go abroad you should have a look at our pages on what to do before, during and after your trip. These pages will provide you with helpful checklists and tips to ensure that you are fully prepared for your experience.