Each year the University offers a variety of overseas opportunities to students.

If you are interested in any of the opportunities below, you will need to discuss whether you are eligible to work or study abroad and devise a programme of study with your Academic Exchange Coordinator.

Most exchange partnerships are compatible with undergraduate study,  and some degrees allow work placements too. For postgraduate study you will need to speak to your Academic Exchange Coordinator to discuss your options.

Exchanges and Work Placements


Depending on your college and degree programme, you will be able to study abroad at a partner institution for either a semester or a year. We have international exchange agreements with a range of universities worldwide, in countries such as the USA, China, Canada, France, Spain and Australia.

If you secure a place at a partner institution in Europe, then you may be eligible for funding under the Erasmus+ programme. The Erasmus+ Programme allows students who are spending either a semester or year abroad at a partner university in Europe, or semester or year working within an organisation in Europe, to receive funding from the European Commission.

Find out more about Year Long and Semester Exchanges

Work placements

If your degree allows you to, you may be able to take part in a work placement overseas for credit as part of your degree. 

Find out more about work placements

Short-term opportunities

Short-term mobility refers to a short period of experience abroad, not necessarily part of your degree, which can benefit you academically and can add value to your curriculum. It can be an internship, volunteering or summer school which last between 3 days and 3 months.


A short-term supervised period of employment overseas.

Find out more about internships

Overseas volunteering

A short-term visit to another country to undertake voluntary work to help the environment or local community.

Find out more about volunteering opportunities

Summer schools

A short-term study programme during a holiday period based at an overseas university, involving taught classes, assessment and cultural activities.

Find out more about summer schools

Note: Students on year-long sandwich or placement year (four-year degree programme). A sandwich year is a year of study abroad, work placement or exchange that is a formally recognised part of a student's programme of study. For information on overseas work placement as a part of sandwich year, please contact the Careers and Employability Service.