Coronavirus and your wellbeing

Your safety and wellbeing are our top priorities, and we're here to support you during these challenging times.

If you have any concerns, are worried, unwell, or in need of specialist support, you should speak with your personal tutor first. They can refer you to a wellbeing adviser to help you get the support that you need. 

We also have a team of professionally trained counsellors who are happy to talk to you about anything that’s bothering you. Have a look on the Counselling page to find out how to access our counselling services. 

To find out about the full range of support available to you at the University - have a look on our main Coronavirus support page.

If home is not a safe space for you

If you're at risk of abuse and violence at home, it's vital that you let someone know.

There's a range of support available both inside and outside the University - have a look at the supporting victims of domestic violence section below for more details.

External advice and support

Student Space: Helping you through Covid-19

Need a little help to cope with all the Covid-19 changes? Student Space is here to make it easier for you to find the support that you need during the Coronavirus pandemic with information, tools and helpful hints you need to get through. Find out more on the Student Space website.

NHS: Looking after your mental health

Expert advice and practical tips to help you look after your mental health and wellbeing including tips on what to do if you're worried about Coronavirus, feeling lonely, mental wellbeing at while staying at home. Find out more on the NHS website.

Mind: Coronavirus and your mental health

Advice on how to support your mental wellbeing during this period. Find out more on the Mind website.

BBC: Your mental health toolkit

Tools to help you look after yourself and your loved ones, including sounds to relax your mind, strategies to cope with parenting, and films to get you talking. Visit the BBC website.

Supporting victims of domestic violence

It's vital to let someone know if you're at risk of abuse and violence. 

You can speak to someone that you feel most comfortable with at University – this could be:

We can help find temporary emergency accommodation, offer emotional support, and arrange a safe place for you to study - find out more about our study spaces.

If you're in immediate danger

If you're in immediate risk of abuse and violence, you should contact the police on 999.

External support

The following organisations also provide help and support:

The freephone national domestic abuse helpline - confidential, non-judgemental information and support. 

Advice for men who are being abused.  

LGBT+ domestic abuse support. 

Karma Nirvana
Supporting victims of honour based abuse or forced marriage. 

Homelessness support

If you are homeless or at risk of being homeless, there are many services available that can offer you support and advice.

Homeless Link
You can find helpful services including accommodation, day centres, advice, homeless health services and housing departments via the homelessness services search.

You can get homelessness support from your local council.

Protecting victims of forced marriage

Contact the Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) if you’re trying to stop a forced marriage or you need help leaving a marriage you’ve been forced into.

Information is available on the GOV.UK website or contact 02070080151.

Dealing with anxiety and depression

Anxiety UK
Information, support and access to services for those living with anxiety and anxiety-based depression.  

NHS: Generalised anxiety disorder
Informations about symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and self-help.

NHS: Clinical depression
Informations about symptoms, causes, diagnosis, treatment and living with clinical depression.

Calm provide crisis support, helpline and text chat support. 

​​​​​​Mental health information, services and resources.

Papyrus provides confidential support and advice to young people struggling with thoughts of suicide, and anyone worried about a young person through our helpline, HOPELINEUK. 

Managing stress

Student Minds: Exam stress 
What you can do to help deal with exam stress. 

NHS: Stress
Where to get help and things you can do to help deal with stress.

Coping with bereavement, loss and grief 

Cruse offer support, advice and information to children, young people and adults when someone dies. 

The Good Grief Trust
UK bereavement support helpline offering general and Covid-19 bereavement advice.

Supporting someone with an eating disorder

Eating disorder charity providing support and information to anyone affected by eating disorders.

NHS: Eating disorders
Types of eating disorders, symptom, warning signs and how to get help.

Looking after your general wellbeing

Feeling good while studying

We are providing free access to a positive mental wellbeing app that will accompany you through your student journey. The Feeling Good app is designed to enhance mental clarity and focus to reach optimal performance. Find out more about the Feeling Good app.

Protecting yourself from infections

Find out how to protect yourself from infections during your studies, including what symptoms to look out for and where to get help and advice on our Preventing infectious diseases page.

Westminster Library Wellbeing Collection

Our library has several resources available to help with your wellbeing - watch our video for a brief introduction to the collection or take a look at the Wellbeing Collection Guide to find out more about the support materials available.

External guidance

Honest information about drugs and alcohol.

NHS: Eat Well
Tips on eating a balanced diet.

NHS: How to get to sleep
Tips on how to deal with a lack of sleep. 

The Sleep Council
An impartial advisory organisation that aims to raise awareness of the importance of a good night's sleep to health and wellbeing. It provides helpful advice and tips on how to improve sleep quality.

Transition into university life

Settling in at the University of Westminster 


Student Minds: Starting university

Advice for students starting university including helpful tips on understanding university life.

Information and resources for LGBTQ+ students

Student Minds
Information for LGBTQ+ students. 

Resources and information to support LGBTQ+ communities   

Advice, advocacy and counselling services for LGBTQ+ people.

Mindline Trans
Emotional and mental health support helpline for anyone identifying as transgender, non-binary, genderfluid.

Support for victims of rape and sexual assault

Rape Crisis
Provides specialist, independent, confidential services to victims of rape and sexual assault. 

NHS: Help after rape and sexual assault
Information and location finder of local Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) service, to get advice, sexual health screening referrals, forensic medical exam, support of an independent sexual violence advisor, with or without police involvement.