It is important to explore your funding options before you start your course to ensure you have funds to cover the costs of University.

You will need to bear in mind two costs in particular:

  • Your living costs – paying for rent, travel, food, entertainment, course related costs etc.
  • Your tuition fee costs – the money going directly to the University for your studies

A good idea is working out your budget and calculating your costs before you arrive, so you are well prepared.  You may want to figure out a weekly or monthly assessment of your outgoing costs compared to the money you will have available as income.
If there is a shortfall, look into ways of increasing your income to avoid falling into financial difficulty during your course.

This information and the supporting pages are for students whose home is in England, are British Citizens and have either Indefinite Leave to Remain, or have been granted pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement scheme, and who will be studying at the University of Westminster. It will not normally be relevant for International students and students with a Student Visa.

Student Finance England (SFE) provide funding for undergraduate study. You must meet their eligibility rules to qualify. Apply for your funding early to ensure you are assessed before you start your course.

If your home is in another part of the UK, visit one of these websites:

Student Finance England (SFE) provide the following:

Full-time students starting a course in September 2021 or later can apply for an SFE Tuition Fee loan, a Maintenance Loan for living costs and additional grants for dependent children or dependent adults.

Students starting a part-time course in September 2021 or later can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan. 

Full-time and part-time students may also be entitled to an SFE non-repayable grant called the Disabled Students' Allowance to help with additional study needs.

Information about the funding available, the eligibility rules and how to apply can be found on our full-time undergraduate funding pages and part-time undergraduate funding pages.

If you started your undergraduate course prior to September 2020 and you would like to check if you are entitled to any funding for this course please contact Student Advice.

Quick eligibility check

If any of the following apply to you we recommend you contact Student Advice before you start your course to discuss your eligibility to receive SFE funding:

  • I already hold a degree level qualification (see the information below)
  • I have been living outside the UK/EEA/Switzerland during some or all of the last three years
  • I am not a UK or EU national and I am waiting for the outcome of an application to the Home Office to grant my immigration status
  • I am not a UK or EU national but have been granted limited or discretionary leave to remain by the Home Office
  • I am not a UK or EU national, but a member of my family is a UK or EU national
  • I have previously attended a higher education course (see the information below)
  • I am an EU national and do not have pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

I have previously studied at degree level in the UK or abroad. Will this affect my funding?

If you already hold a qualification that is equivalent to or higher than a UK Honours degree, in most cases you will not be eligible for  the Student Finance England Tuition fee Loan and/or Maintenance Loan for a new undergraduate degree course and you will have to pay the tuition fees for the entire course yourself.  If you are a full-time undergraduate student you may still be eligible for the additional grants for dependents and disability.

If you have previously attended a full-time higher education course but did not complete it or obtained a qualification lower than a UK Honours degree, the number of years you can receive a Tuition Fee Loan for a new course is reduced and you may have to pay your own tuition fees for some or all of your course.

For further information about how previous study and qualifications affect funding, visit our previous studies page.