Asylum seekers waiting for a UKBA decision

If you're an asylum seeker and the Home Office has not reached a decision on your asylum claim, you should be assessed by the University Admissions Office as an overseas student for fees purposes. You will not be eligible for a Student Finance England Tuition Fee Loan or any of the other loans and grants normally available from them. This means that you will be liable to pay the course tuition fee yourself.

The Refugee Support Network (RSN) provides advice and support for young refugees. They have a national advice line and can provide advice about accessing higher education in the UK.

A scholarship has been created by the Schwab & Westheimer Trusts to help young asylum seekers pursue higher education in social care, medicine, nursing or related professions. Up to three people a year will be supported by the Westheimer Trust to study for a first degree or professional qualification in the field of healthcare through a scholarship ranging from £10,000-20,000 a year. Online applications open in May and interviews are conducted in June. For more information or contact the RCN.

People who are granted refugee status or humanitarian protection

To be considered to pay the home rate of tuition fee, you must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of your course have been granted refugee status or humanitarian protection by this date. For courses that start in September the first day of the first academic year is defined as 1 September, for postgraduate courses that start in January it is 1 January.

In some circumstances spouses and children of someone granted refugee status or humanitarian protection can also qualify for home fees too.

If you are ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course and are awarded either status by this date you may be eligible for Student Finance England funding for an undergraduate or postgraduate course.

If you are awarded either status after the relevant date, partway through a year of your course, you may be eligible to receive some Student Finance England funding for your course and may become eligible to pay the home rate of tuition fee from the start of the next academic year.

If your home is in another part of the UK, visit one of these websites:

You can find more about the qualifying eligibility rules for home fees by visiting the UKCISA website. UKCISA also provide information about the eligibility rules for Student Finance England funding.

If the Home Office award you Discretionary Leave or another status please read our Discretionary Leave and unconfirmed immigration status page and contact Student Advice if you would like to discuss your options.

If you have previous study on a higher education course anywhere in the world or hold an equivalent qualification, you should also read our previous studies page, as any previous studies can eliminate and/or reduce any student funding entitlement.

Further advice

The funding and tuition fee rules are complex, so if you are unsure of your entitlement and would like to discuss this, please get in touch with Student Advice.