Before coming to the UK, you should organise your money to ensure you have enough at the start and for the duration of your course. You will also need to investigate the best ways to bring money into the UK.

Visit our International students funding page.

Make sure that:

  • you can bring enough money with you to pay for your tuition fees, accommodation and living expenses
  • you have British currency and travellers' cheques when you arrive. We recommend that you have about £80 in cash to cover transport and food costs until you can change money or visit a bank
  • you bring proof if you have paid your tuition fees into the University account
  • you have documentary evidence that you have enough money to support yourself for immigration purposes

Money and exchange controls

If you’re travelling to the UK from a country outside the European Union and are carrying 10,000 euros or more, or the equivalent amount in another currency, you must complete a cash declaration form.

Visit the HM Revenue & Customs website for further information.

Your home country may also have regulations restricting the amount of money you can take out. Please check if such regulations apply to you and, if they do, contact your bank or other agency to bring the sums of money you need out of the country. Setting up a bank account can take a long time and you shouldn’t rely on a bank account for quick money transfers or for cashing a cheque on arrival. Instead, you’ll need to have easy access to money.

Money transfer

Methods of transferring money internationally vary from country to country. Your bank at home should be able to inform you of ways of transferring or bringing money to London. The three most common ways of sending money from abroad are:

  • international money order
  • international money transfer
  • banker’s draft

Useful links