LinkedIn Learning is the new platform and mobile app for content from Lynda.com. Free subscriptions worth £250 are scheduled to be available to University of Westminster students and staff from 16 July 2019.
LinkedIn Learning provides access to thousands of online courses. These are on a wide-range of topics, including:
- software packages that you need to use at university
- skills relevant to business and management, technology, and the creative industries
- study skills, soft skills and personal productivity skills
- leisure interests such as photography, and learning a musical instrument
The university has scheduled the upgrade of its Lynda.com subscription to LinkedIn Learning on 15/16 July 2019. After this time Lynda.com and the Lynda.com app will no longer be available.
How to log in to LinkedIn Learning
LinkedIn Learning will be available from around midday on Tuesday 16 July 2019
You will need your University username and password to log in.
This link will take you to the University of Westminster login screen. Enter your University username and password to access LinkedIn Learning.
Connecting to your LinkedIn account
Once you have accessed LinkedIn Learning, you will be presented with the option of connecting your account to your LinkedIn profile:
This is an optional enhancement to your LinkedIn Learning account.
Connecting your LinkedIn account will mean that you get personalised content recommendations based on what your contacts and people with similar interests are watching.
If you choose this option, you will be asked to log in to LinkedIn (if you are not already logged in) and accept the terms and conditions.
To access from the LinkedIn Learning homepage:
- Go to: www.linkedin.com/learning
- Click on the “Sign in” link
- Select ‘Sign in with your organization account’
- Enter your university email address to initiate your login
- This may take you to the University of Westminster login screen, where you can entre your university username and password
To access from your LinkedIn profile (returning users):
- Go to www.linkedin.com
- Click on the ‘Learning’ icon. This may take you to the University of Westminster login screen
- Enter your University username and password
NB: Your email address is used to initiate the University's single sign-on system; it is not retained by LinkedIn Learning. If you have any concerns about this, you can use the dummy email to initiate a login (eg [email protected])
Mobile app login
The LinkedIn Learning app is available for free from the App Store or Google Play. As well as providing you with an interface optimised for mobile devices, the app allows you to download courses to watch offline.
To use the app, follow these steps:
- Go to the App Store (Apple) or Google Play and download the LinkedIn Learning app. Note that this is separate from the LinkedIn app
- Open the app to see the sign-in options
- Select "Sign in with your organization portal"
- Type westminster.ac.uk
- Select "Sign in with your organization portal" again
- Tap continue
- You should get the University of Westminster sign in screen. Now enter your university ID (e.g. w1234567) and password and select "sign in"
Lynda.com will not be available after the upgrade. If you are a Lynda.com user, your user profile and learning history will transfer to LinkedIn Learning the first time you log in to the new platform. You may receive an invitation from LinkedIn Learning inviting you to access the new platform.
Any ‘playlists’ you have created will now be known as ‘collections.’
Links to individual courses/videos will redirect to the new interface. You will need to update these within the next twelve months. Links to individual videos will redirect to the course they are part of, so you may need to update these immediately.
The Lynda.com mobile app will not work after the 15th July 2019 and should be deleted. An app for LinkedIn Learning is available from the app store and Google Play.
How to use LinkedIn Learning
To find out more about LinkedIn Learning, try the How to use the LinkedIn Learning course.
You may also find Gaining Skills with LinkedIn Learning useful.
Both courses are available prior to the upgrade on 15/16 July.
Eligibility for LinkedIn Learning accounts
Free LinkedIn Learning accounts are not available to alumni or to students and staff at associate colleges.
LinkedIn Learning and the LinkedIn Learning app are available free of charge to all to students on UK-based programmes and to staff directly employed by the university. Student accounts will remain active until completion of studies or until such time that the university ceases to subscribe to the platform. The university’s current subscription to LinkedIn Learning runs until 01/09/2020 and renewal will be subject to a cost/benefit analysis.
When you create a LinkedIn Learning account, you will be sharing your University of Westminster username with LinkedIn. Your data is stored on the LinkedIn Learning servers and may be transferred to and stored at a destination outside the European Economic Area.
If you connect your LinkedIn Learning account to your LinkedIn account, the university will have access to your profile information (name, work title, and profile photo), but not your connections, private messages, and job search activity. Read the Privacy Information for LinkedIn Learning Learners for more information.
For queries related to LinkedIn Learning, please contact the IT Service Desk.