Time period: 1960s
Vernon Dewhurst studied Photography at the Regent Street Polytechnic in the 1960s. In this excerpt he discusses the teaching staff on the photography course.
309 Regent Street has a long history with Photography. In 1848 Europe's first photographic studio opened at the Royal Polytechnic Institution on its roof and members of the public could come and have their portraits taken. Charles Dickens was among the customers. In 1852 photography classes began. Quintin Hogg continued these classes when he acquired the building. In 1960 the Poly established its first full time 3 year diploma in photography and in 1966 the World's first BSc in the subject. The head of the School of Photography whilst Vernon Dewhurst was studying was Margaret Harker, Britain's first female professor of photography.