Westminster alumni awards
Westminster Alumni Awards recognise and celebrate the outstanding achievements of University of Westminster graduates and its predecessor institutions, the Polytechnic of Central London, and the Regent Street Polytechnic. Westminster seeks to acknowledge the variety of ways our graduates make a real difference across the globe, particularly through their contribution to local, national and international communities.
Nominations are accepted from anyone, including current students and staff and former students and staff. Self-nominations can also be made.
There are five categories in which alumni can be nominated:
Outstanding Achievement Award
- To reward personal and professional achievements from all sectors.
- Examples of suitable nominee achievements are: an impactful research publication; reaching a career milestone; completing a visionary fundraising activity
Contribution to the Creative Industries
- To celebrate achievements, innovation, diversity and inclusion in the arts and creative industries
- Examples of suitable nominee achievements are: showing a Fashion Design collection; receiving a notable Film or Television award; expanding a global creative agency
- To recognise enterprising business ventures that have demonstrated innovation and resulted in business growth
- Examples of suitable nominee achievements are: developing a ground-breaking global business; creating an innovative product; personally generating significant company expansion
Social Impact Award
- This focuses on positive contributions to international and/or UK communities, through professional, voluntary or charitable activities
- Examples of suitable nominee achievements are: meaningful support to international development; initiating local commercial-community projects; and developing a pioneering new charity
Lifetime Achievement Award
- Awarded to an outstanding graduate for their sustained achievements and contributions over a number of years
- Examples of suitable nominee achievements are: growing a successful business over a long period of time; contributing to a creative sector for decades; and making a real difference to a community during a substantial career
Making a nomination
Nominations for 2018 have now closed. Nominations for 2019 will open in January 2019.
Shortlisting and selection
There will be one winner for each of the five categories. A University Shortlisting Panel will consider all eligible nominations, and shortlisted nominees will be notified in April 2018. Shortlisted nominees will be put forward to an online public vote, to determine award category winners.
Announcement and presentation of the Alumni Awards
Award winners will be informed by email or by phone in April–May 2018. Each Alumni Award winner will receive a certificate detailing the important contribution they have made in relation to the category. Award winners will be invited to a celebratory dinner in September 2018, hosted by the University’s Vice-Chancellor, to be presented with their certificates.
Eligibility for the Alumni Awards
- Nominees must have been fully enrolled on a programme of study at the University of Westminster or one of its predecessor institutions, and/or received a qualification of their studies, to be eligible for nomination
- Nominations will be accepted from alumni residents in the UK or overseas
- Alumni who have previously won an award in any category will not be eligible for nomination in subsequent years in any category
- Alumni who have been shortlisted but have not been awarded in any category in previous years will be eligible for nomination in subsequent years
- All award winners may still be nominated by University staff for the University's Honorary Awards
- No member of the Selection Panel may be eligible for nomination
- No posthumous awards will be made
Alumni ineligible for nomination
- Active politicians – meaning those who hold an elective office
- Current employees of the University
- Current or former members and co-opted members of the Board of Governors or its Committees
- Honorary Graduates of the University
University of Westminster
Development and Alumni Relations Team
101 New Cavendish Street
T: +44 (0)20 7911 5000
E: [email protected]