London can be an excellent springboard for your future career. It's the financial and creative capital of the world, and home to 75% of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of other businesses and organisations across almost every professional sector imaginable.

We use our location to great effect and have strong links with businesses and professional organisations in London and across the UK. Whatever your professional aims and aspirations, you will have the opportunity to network with future employers and find work placements and internships through our Career Development Centre.

Did you know?

  • London has three times more European multinational HQs than any other city in Europe
  • There are more jobs available in London than any other part of the UK
  • There are more than 1 million businesses operating within 20 miles of the University of Westminster
  • More than 40 professional associations accredit our degree programmes
  • All Westminster students are encouraged to undertake a work placement
  • Our Career Development Centre works with an ever-growing network of over 3,000 companies
  • Westminster was named 6th in the UK in the list of top work experience universities in 2013, with 85% of students completing a work experience of some kind (

International students

Finding employment

The Career Development Centre has experience in supporting international students in employment and further study.

Your right to work

For information about your right to work, visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

If you’re in the UK on a short-term study visa, you won’t be allowed to work in the UK at all.

If you have a Tier 4 (General) student visa, you need to make sure that you follow the visa work rules, otherwise you may breach your visa conditions. This is a serious offence and you would not be allowed to stay in the UK.

If you work in the UK, you’ll need a National Insurance number. Visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website for more details on getting a National Insurance number.

Undergraduate students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) on a Tier 4 Visa must not work over 20 hours (as stated on the Visa) during term time due to Visa restrictions but can work up to 35 hours during vacation weeks or outside of term time. Postgraduate students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) on a Tier 4 Visa must not work over 20 hours (as stated on the Visa) during the year – they can only work up to 35 hours during the vacation breaks (Christmas and Easter), unless on a credit-bearing placement. Both the above include paid/unpaid work and/or regular volunteering and non-credit bearing placements.

Check out our international student blog

Our international students share their experiences of life and study in the capital on our international student blog. Check out these top posts on how to succeed during your time here: