Private rented accommodation

If you choose to live in private accommodation, or if you have been unsuccessful in your hall application, you have plenty of options.

If you'd like to discuss your options in more detail with us, get in touch and we will do our best to help.

Private halls

There are a number of companies that provide hall-of-residence style accomodation excusively for students. Many of these halls are based in the London area. For futher information view our list below.

View a list of Private Halls of Residence suppliers

Student Housing List

Our regularly updated Student Housing List is a useful first port of call, providing details of landlords who have accommodation available to students.

The list is available to all full-time students at the University. When you have accepted a place on a course at the University, you'll be able to log in by entering your username and password when prompted.

In order to access the housing list you will need to log in. When you have accepted a place on a course at the University of Westminster, you will be able to log in by entering your username and password when prompted.

Your username is "w" followed by the first 7 digits of your student ID, eg w0123456. This number will have been provided to you by the Admissions Office and will be present on correspondence and - if you have one yet - your student ID card.

Read the information about Your University password and email account.


The most common form of student accommodation is a flat or house share among a group of friends. You'll find potential student flatmates on our Facebook group.

The University also operates a housing list, where private landlords can advertise their properties directly to our students. While these properties are not inspected, we do require copies of gas safety certificates and documentation proving ownership.

Here are the websites that proved most popular to our current and former students when seeking house shares:

We advise students to be careful when responding to private listings and avoid giving out any personal information until they are satisfied that an advert is genuine. One method that scammers sometimes use is to ask you to ‘prove funds’ by transferring money to a friend using Western Union - you should never do this.

It is usually necessary to pay a deposit and one month’s rent in advance of moving in.

If you have any questions about contracts or deposits, please get in touch with the team.


For students that would prefer to live in a family environment there are homestay companies that will be able to offer you this type of accommodation.

Please contact the following if you are interested in staying with a host family.


T: +44 (0)20 7510 9920
F: +44(0)20 7790 4653
E: [email protected]
W: HFS London

Perfect Host Homestay Ltd

T: +44 (0)20 8478 4111
F: +44 (0)20 8478 4242
E: [email protected]
W: Perfect host homestay

T: +353 (0)1 6753010
E: [email protected]
W: Homestay

Hosts International

T: +44(0) 2073235244
F: +44(0) 2073235238
E: [email protected]
W: Hosts International

Student life in London

What's it like to study in London? Find out about student life at the University of Westminster.

student having question marks around her

Frequently asked questions

Have a question about halls or other accommodation?