English language note

Only IELTS taken in test centres approved by the Home Office are acceptable for use in a UK visa application for the University of Westminster.

Approved test centres 

Information on the approved test centres can be found at:

The University cannot make its own assessment of English language ability for students studying courses taught below degree level. Therefore students wishing to study Pre-Sessional English must ensure that they take an IELTS test in a Home Office approved test centre in order to be assigned a CAS. These students will need to provide details of their IELTS when applying for a UK visa.

You should also be aware that an approved centre may offer both ‘secure’ (SELT – Home Office approved) and ‘non-secure’ (non-SELT – not approved) IELTS tests and so you must make sure that book a place on the SELT (secure) test. The IELTS online booking form refers to the SELT-approved tests as 'IELTS for UKVI'. We’d recommend you book your test in plenty of time before your pre-sessional course start date as UKVI approved IELTS tests may book up quickly.

Further information

If you have questions about whether your test will be suitable for the Pre-sessional please contact [email protected].

Essential visa information for Pre-Sessional students can be found on our Pre-sessional English Language Courses page.