1838-1881 Royal Polytechnic Institution
1838 The first polytechnic- The Polytechnic Institution- opened to the public at 309 Regent Street on 6 August 1838, under the chairmanship of the distinguished scientist Sir George Cayley. Its aim was to demonstrate new technologies and inventions to the public. The Polytechnic played a significant role in the popularisation of science, and became a major tourist attraction in Victorian London.
1839 The Polytechnic was one of the first institutions in London to demonstrate the new invention of photography, and in 1841 the first photographic studio in Europe opened on the roof of the building.
1841 The name changed to The Royal Polytechnic Institution when Prince Albert - the husband of Queen Victoria - became Patron.
1848 A new theatre was added to the building, which became world famous for its spectacular magic lantern shows.
1850s-1870s The director of the Polytechnic, Professor John Pepper, was internationally known as a showman and popular science lecturer; he helped develop the popular theatrical illusion known as Pepper's ghost.
1881 The Royal Polytechnic closed in 1881.
Quintin Hogg: early years and move to Regent Street 1864-1891
1860s Quintin Hogg, a young business man, began to provide basic education for some of London's poorest children in the slums of Covent Garden.
1870s Hogg developed his vision to provide educational, social, sporting and social opportunities for young working men in The Young Men's Christian Institute.
1882 Hogg purchased 309 Regent Street and the Institute moved into the West End in 1882, where it soon became known as the Polytechnic.
New day and evening courses in technical and commercial subjects were introduced to support the expanding economy as London became the world's largest city.
A gymnasium and swimming pool were installed in Regent Street - and the remarkable growth and success of the Sports Clubs began.
1886 The Polytechnic Secondary School was opened; its successor is the Quintin Kynaston School.
1888 The first school journey abroad.
1891 In the national debate about the needs to improve the standards of technical education to support the economy, Hogg's Polytechnic became the model upon which others were founded - and the name Polytechnic entered the education system.
Regent Street Polytechnic: 1891-1970
1891 The Polytechnic became publicly funded, and was named Regent Street Polytechnic. The first Board of Governors was created.
1896 The first public moving picture show in the UK was held in the Polytechnic Theatre, which in later years functioned as a cinema.
1903 Quintin Hogg died. His memorial included a statue in Regent Street (later moved to Portland Place) and the purchase of the sports ground at Chiswick.
1908 The Olympic Games were held in London. The Polytechnic organised the marathon trial and event, and also the opening and closing ceremonies of the Games.
1910-1912 The old Polytechnic building was demolished and rebuilt, retaining the theatre, swimming pool and gymnasium behind the new façade. The Fyvie Hall was added as a result of a generous donation from Lord Leith of Fyvie. The King and Queen opened the new building in 1912.
1914-1918 The heavy losses suffered by the Polytechnic during the First World War are recorded on the memorial in Regent Street foyer. Courses were directed to the war effort, and training provided for the Royal Flying Corps. The Polytechnic took the lead in the retraining the large numbers of disabled soldiers returning from war.
1920s-1930s New subjects, such as journalism, planning and management, were introduced after the war. In 1929 the Polytechnic Extension building in Little Titchfield Street was opened by Queen Mary. A new stadium was built at Chiswick, which was home to national and international events. The Polytechnic Touring Association expanded its range of holidays into southern Europe and north Africa; the first air charters were introduced. In the 1960s it became part of Lunn Poly.
1939-1945 During the Second World War, the secondary school and some teaching departments were evacuated out of London. Courses were developed for the Army, Navy and Air Force by the Schools of Engineering; in the engineering workshop these ran in two shifts, 6am to 10pm, 6 days a week through the most difficult years of the war.
1945-1970 Courses expanded to meet the training needs of returning ex-servicemen and women. Changes in national provision for higher and further education reshaped the Polytechnic. Traditional craft-based subjects- such as tailoring and hairdressing- were dropped to concentrate on degree-level courses.
Previously some Polytechnic students had taken external University of London degrees; from the late 1960s new degree courses were validated by the Council for National Academic Awards.
In the 1960s a major new expansion scheme was planned for Regent Street Polytechnic, transforming it into a multi-site institution. A new site in Marylebone Road was to house a college of architecture and advanced building technologies, while a second new site in New Cavendish Street was to house engineering and science.
By the time the new buildings had been completed, Regent Street Polytechnic had been merged with Holborn College of Law, Languages and Commerce to form the Polytechnic of Central London known as PCL.
The Students Union was founded in 1965, and the late 1960s and early 1970s saw many student protests against national and international political issues and also against the management of the Polytechnic.
Jimi Hendrix, Cream and many other leading 60s bands played at Polytechnic student concerts; Pink Floyd were formed at the Polytechnic.
Polytechnic of Central London 1970-1992
1970-1992 PCL was one of 30 new polytechnics formed in 1970 awarding degrees from the Council of National Academic Awards. They formed what was known as the public sector of higher education- divided from the private sector, the traditional universities, by the binary line.
PCL continued its commitment to part-time and evening education, and pioneered an extensive programme of short courses for mid-career professionals which attracted more than 20,000 students a year.
Links were formed with overseas institutions, such as the Ngee Anne Polytechnic in Singapore where PCL validated diploma courses. Postgraduate and research work increased - a factor which led to demands for the binary line to be abolished.
1990 Harrow College of Higher Education merged with PCL.
University of Westminster 1992- the present
1992 PCL gained University status, bringing the right to award its own degrees and to participate in publicly funded research
The University, with 22,000 students, is far bigger than its predecessors; it is structured into four campuses- Cavendish, Harrow, Marylebone and Regent.
The estate has been concentrated onto the four main campus sites and the buildings redeveloped.
Expanding overseas activity has resulted in the University being awarded the Queen's Award for Enterprise in 2000 and again in 2005.
2013 The University of Westminster arrived at a major milestone in 2013, as we reached our 175th anniversary. We were proud to celebrate 175 years of world-leading research, pioneering teaching, and providing education for all, regardless of background or financial status.
Students, staff, alumni, our supporters and the public joined us at a series of events and occasions to mark this memorable moment in our history. Special events were organised both at our campuses here in the UK, and with our teams around the world, including India, China and Uzbekistan.