Time period: 1930s; 1940s
Mark Fenton studied Architecture at the Regent Street Polytechnic in the late 1930s/early 1940s.
From 1891 there was a School of Architecture providing evening classes (and day classes from 1894) in a variety of subjects allied to the Architecture and Building trades, as well as preparation for professional examinations including those of the Surveyor's Institution, Royal Engineers and Royal Institute of British Architects.
After World War One the School of Architecture taught evening classes in architecture and architectural draughtsmanship, building, surveying, geometry, building law, mathematics and mechanics, as well as technical craft subjects (carpentry, joinery and cabinet making). The Day School provided a three year Diploma course which on completion meant exemption from the RIBA intermediate examination. The Architects (Registration) Act 1931 recognised the School’s Diploma Final Examination in Architecture as qualification for registration.
In 1970 modern purpose-designed premises at Marylebone Road were built for the College of Architecture and Advanced Building Technologies which comprised the Department of Architecture, Surveying and Town Planning and the Department of Civil Engineering. These facilities included a concrete testing laboratory, now the gallery space P3.
In this excerpt he discusses the antics of his fellow students in the classroom, the structure of the course and the School of Architecture in general.