Postgraduate and MBA internships
Looking for an internship in London can be challenging, particularly if you're an international student and have never worked in the UK before. Westminster Business School has launched a new internship programme to support postgraduate and MBA students' future employability through the provision of high quality internships.
The programme aims to empower you to to develop a range of professional skills and an understanding of your chosen career field, which will be useful in becoming successful professionals.
- The module will provide you with an understanding of the issues surrounding international graduate employment, including CV preparation, group or individual interviews and professional networking.
- You will gain transferable skills and commercial awareness after completing an 8 week internship relevant to your field of study or career interest.
- As an international student, doing an internship will provide you with an insight into British work context
- By critically evaluating processes, practices and relationships in the employing organisation, you will develop your sense of business acumen
- Provides an opportunity for you to "test drive" a career and explore different interests before completing your studies
- You will receive a certificate of participation awarded by Westminster Business School and Student Affairs, after the successful completion of the programme
- You will gain 10 extra points on your transcripts.
Your approved internship will form part of a module – BBUS701: Professional Experience in a Business Context. It comprises of:
- 8 week part-time internship during the summer or 112hrs in your second semester.
- 6 employability workshops on topics such as effective communication, career management and organisation studies.
You are expected to find this internship yourself however, the Business Experience Team (BET) will be support you through every stage of your internship search.
After the completion of this module, you will not only have a great experience to add to your CVs, but also a more informed view of your chosen career path and the practical skills to enter the international job market.
You will also be awarded with an extra 10 credits on your transcript.
Most students intern within small-medium enterprises, larger organisations and charities throughout London. Some of our past students have interned at Hilton, London and Partners, City West Homes, Blackbaud Europe, Transputec, NHS and University of Westminster.
We usually place students in internships in a range of career fields including:
- public relations
- human resources
- finance and accounting
- project management
- general business / operations
If you would like to specifically intern within a large global company, please apply directly to them as early as possible, as their recruitment processes are very competitive.
You are expected to find this internship yourself however, the Business Experience Team (BET) will be guiding you through every stage of your internship search.
"The tasks I was challenged with required to put in practise many of the teachings learnt during my MBA and I found it a good way to complement the theory." Summer 2014 Intern, MBA
"This has been a great programme for me personally as it provided me with an extensive outlook of the real world of finance – I really have enjoyed it." Summer 2014 Intern, MSc Finance and Accounting
“It has definitely made me more confident and enhanced my people skills. I feel much more equipped and prepared to join the workforce, particularly in an international and multicultural context.” Summer 2015, MA International Economic Policy & Analysis
“I can use some of the skills gained in project management for future managerial or development projects as I am interested in developing a career in development economics.” Summer 2015, MSc International Economic Policy & Analysis
We work in partnership with you, to support you with your search for the best possible internship. We help you by:
- Designing and delivering 6 employability workshops throughout the year. These help you gain the skills and strategies required to seek and secure an internship. Attendance to these workshops are a mandatory part of the module.
- Providing one to one advice and guidance sessions which allow you the opportunity to have your CV’s and cover letters checked, discuss internship search strategies, offers and any other internship related queries. You can book an appointment via the Internship Modules dedicated website once registered on the module.
- Advertising and promoting internship vacancies via our dedicated online website.
- Contacting organisations to identify internship opportunities for all students on the module – not individuals.
- Working closely with organisations who are particularly interested in recruiting from Westminster Business School. We will try and offer you as many exclusive internships opportunities as possible. These will be from employers recruiting only Westminster Business School Students.
- Spreading awareness of the additional support provided by the Career Development Centre who provide one to one quick query appointments throughout the year and 45-minute guidance appointments which are excellent for Mock Interviews.