Student Experience and Opinion Panel Privacy Notice
The University of Westminster takes its data protection obligations very seriously. Access to any personal information and contact information, as provided on the recruitment form is limited by permissions to only those staff who need to access and manage the Student Experience and Opinion Panel and is in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018.
This privacy notice explains what we do with your personal information, your rights and how we protect your data. Your personal and contact data is requested when registering to be part of the panel.
The Student Experience and Opinion Panel is not in any way linked to your Student Record, therefore, you may be asked for some information which you have already provided to the University during your enrolment. No attempt will be made to link your Student Records data with your Student Experience and Opinion Panel registration.
The online registration form asks for the following personal information about you:
- Personal information - The sign-up form collects personal information such as your name and demographic information.
- Contact information - The sign-up form will ask for some contact information such as your university email address. If you opt-in to receive notifications via text-message or other messaging media we will collect your mobile phone number or relevant contact details.
We use your contact information to:
- Invite you to research opportunities
- Organise your attendance in research opportunities
- Notify you if you have won in a prize draw or to send you incentives that you have earned if we are unable to provide you with incentives face-to-face
- Get in touch with you if we change the terms of the Student Experience and Opinion Panel
We use your personal information to help us:
- Find the people who are most suitable for each research opportunity
- Reduce the number of questions we need to ask in surveys, and also to help us reduce the amount of times we need to ask for personal information within the survey questions
- Conduct further analysis on research data we have already collected (e.g. ‘80% of part-time Undergraduate students in our survey stated they commuted for 60 minutes or more per day, compared to 50% of full-time Undergraduate students’)
Who sees your information?
A dedicated Panel Manager and a small number of authorised staff at the university will have access to your personal information and contact information, as provided on the recruitment form.
In research reports, some personal information may be used if it is deemed to be relevant. Your name and contact information will never be used in any reports. Reports will remain within the University and will not be published elsewhere.
Your personal information and contact information will not be shared with any third party. We abide by the MRS' Code of Conduct.
Retaining your data
Students can opt-out of the panel at any point by contacting: [email protected]. All your contact information will be deleted should you choose to opt-out of the Student Experience and Opinion Panel.
Personal information will be retained for the duration of the Student Experience and Opinion Panel pilot project, which will end at the end of the 2019/20 academic year.
Terms and conditions of the Student Experience and Opinion Panel
The Student Experience and Opinion Panel is being trialled in the academic year 2019/20 and the continuation of the project will be reviewed at the end of the academic year. In this academic year, you may be asked to participate in a range of research which may include quick polls, online surveys and focus groups. Invitation to take part is likely to be sent via an email. We would be grateful if you could read and complete any information with honesty and by the deadline provided.
Participation is on a voluntary basis, there is no obligation to take part in every survey, focus group or quick-poll or any other form of research. You may also withdraw your responses at any point.
The Panel Manager may wish to audio record face-to-face or focus groups, workshops and other forms of research. Where audio recording takes place, your written permission will always be sought.
Where there is a prize draw, only one entry per participant will be counted towards the prize draw. Winners prize draws will be determined by a random draw from all eligible entries and notified by email within 10 working days of the surveys closing date. Winners will have 7 days from notification to accept the prize by replying to the notification email. Incentives for taking part in face-to-face research (such as focus groups) will be given to those who participate in an arranged focus group and will be distributed to participants at the end of the focus group session. At the end of the session, you will be asked to sign a document confirming that you have received the incentive.
Unless specifically stated, all responses will remain anonymous and you will not be personally identifiable. However, personal information such as your age may be included in a report if this information is relevant. No personal information or contact information will be shared with third parties.
If at any time you would like to leave the Student Experience and Opinion Panel please email [email protected]. Your contact details will then be removed from the Student Experience and Opinion Panel (including removal from the Facebook group) and you will not be contacted to take part in any further research with the Student Experience and Opinion Panel. The Panel Manager may remove panellists from the panel if the panellist is a repeated no-show at face-to-face research without prior notice of cancellation (repeated is defined as three times in an academic year), or if a panellist is not interacting in a respectful way with fellow panellists during research.