Support for estranged students

The University of Westminster is committed to supporting estranged students during your time at university. We recognise that the transition to university and becoming a student is an exciting prospect, but can also be challenging for Stand Alone Pledge youngpeople studying without the support and approval of a family network.

To help make the transition as easy as possible, we've developed guidance and a support package tailored for you. As a university, we support the Stand Alone Pledge to provide professional support and advice to estranged students throughout your time at university.

Our Estranged Student support is provided by the Student Advice team and Anne McGrath, Student Adviser. They are here to offer you guidance and support throughout your studies. We are proud to have been awarded the Stand Alone Pledge logo for our commitment to estranged students.

Download the estrangement information sheet (PDF)

How do we define an estranged student?

The University defines an estranged student as a young person, under the age of 25 who has been classified as an independent student on the grounds of estrangement by Student Finance England.

We are committed to supporting estranged students by:

  • raising awareness of the needs of estranged students
  • enabling estranged students to make the most of their time in higher education and to complete their course successfully
  • helping higher education providers to identify how best to support estranged students through our commitment to the Stand Alone Pledge. 

Types of Support for estranged students

Financial support

Our team of Student Advisers can help you claim your full funding entitlement. You can find further details on our student advice webpage or email on [email protected]

Estranged student’s bursary - If you are under the age of 25 and have been classified as an independent student on the grounds of estrangement by Student Finance England, you may be eligible to apply for this university bursary. Get in touch with our Student Funding Team [email protected]

Targeted scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate study. Find out more on our Scolarships webpage or email [email protected]

Student accommodation

Year-round accommodation is offered in University halls of residence, including the summer vacation, with a deposit waiver for students starting at University. For further details please contact Debbie Rumball and look at the Student Accommodation webpages or email [email protected].

The University of Westminster has a partnership with the Unite Foundation. Each year, Unite offers a number of full accommodation scholarships for Care Leavers and Estranged students. Applications will open in January 2018 for the academic year 2018/19. Please get in touch with Anne McGrath, Student Adviser, Care Leavers & Estranged, nearer the time for an application pack, contact details can be found at the end of this page. Find out more on the​ Unite Foundation website.

Mental Health and Wellbeing

Pastoral support is offered by our Interfaith team. For further details visit our faith and spirituality webpage or email the team on [email protected]

Counselling and mentoring

We have a team of experienced counsellors who are happy to talk to you about anything that's bothering you. Individual and group counselling sessions are available, and an initial assessment appointment is offered to identify what kind of support you might need.

Mentoring support is available to students with long-term mental health problems.

For further details please take a  look at the Counselling Service web page or email [email protected]

Learning Support

Academic Learning Development

Our Academic Learning Development Centre aims to support you in your learning and academic development. The centre offers one-to-one academic skills tutorials and workshops in a number of areas like essay writing, presentations and critical thinking.

For further details visit the Academic Learning Development web page or email [email protected]

Disability Learning Support

If you're an estranged student with a disability, our Disability Learning Support (DLS) team provides a range of services.

You will find further information on the Disability Learning Support web page or you can email [email protected]


If you need help looking for work or getting your career on track, including guidance on employment, volunteering and mentoring, get in touch with our Career Development Centre. For further details please contact Stephen Cole and look at the web page or email [email protected]

Estranged Student Adviser contact

Anne McGrath, Student Adviser, is our estranged student contact and can offer you advice and guidance both before and during your studies. For further details please contact Anne on [email protected] or take a look at our Student Advice web page. You can also email the team on [email protected]All enquiries are treated confidentially.

More information about the University of Westminster Vice Chancellor’s Pledge can be found here

For general information about Stand Alone you can visit the Stand Alone website. 

Giving advice to a prospective student

Student Advice

Get advice on a variety of practical matters, including funding and visas.

Book, calculator and notepad

Fees and funding

Check course fees and available funding.