The University of Westminster prefers ‘green’ open access, which does not require a payment to a publisher, but is often subject to an embargo period before the article can be made publicly viewable. This is usually between 0 and 24 months.

In some cases, however, researchers may wish to make their work available through the ‘gold’ open access route, which may involve the payment of an Article Processing Charge (APC), allowing the article to be made publicly viewable immediately. Please see details of the Article Processing Charges (APC) Application fund, including how to apply, below.

Externally Funded Research

Some funding bodies will support their grant holders to deliver on open access policies by paying APCs. Where possible you should include anticipated open access charges in your grant application. Where an APC is paid, most funding bodies will expect the article to be made available under a specific Creative Commons licence, and failure to follow this requirement will result in the output being considered as non-compliant. Please email [email protected] if you have a query about the choice of Creative Commons licence required by your funding body.

If you have received funding, you should acknowledge the funder in any publications that arise from it. Details on a standardised way of doing this are available from the Researcher Information Network. You should also add funder details to the record in the VRE.


Peer‐reviewed research articles arising from Research Council‐supported research must be openly available. APCs and other publication charges relating to peer‐reviewed research papers can no longer be included within research grant applications.  Further details on what was the RCUK Policy on Open Access for award holders is available from UKRI.

Researchers who require funding, should apply to the Article Processing Charges (APC) Application Fund below.

Wellcome Trust

The Wellcome Trust will fund APCs and BPCs in order to deliver its open access policy. Wellcome provide more information on how to apply for open access funding for non COAF-funded research institutes on their website.

Open access without additional payment upon submission with Springer Compact

As our institution has a Springer Compact agreement, then you may publish your article open access – at no charge to yourself – in more than 1,600 of Springer's journals. You do not need to apply through the University. Once your article is accepted, Springer will send you a link to the MyPublication form. There you will be asked to state your affiliation. You will also need to agree to the open access terms. You are advised to use your institutional email address instead of your private email address, to enable Springer to better identify you as eligible under the agreement.

Article Processing Charges (APC) Application Fund

The University has a limited Article Processing Charges (APC) Application Fund to pay open access charges that all research active staff may apply to, subject to eligibility criteria of the article itself. All applications are subject to approval of the College Research Director and budget constraints, as the fund is very limited.

How to apply

As of March 2019, authors wishing to apply to this fund must check eligibility, then send details of the paper, including intended publication venue, to their College Research Director before committing the University to payment.  If their application is supported then the CRD will pass it to the repository team, who will confirm whether funds remain available, and liaise with the author to arrange payment.

Eligible Submissions

  • Any application needs to be approved by the College Research Director and repository team before an author commits the University to payment.
  • The fund covers APCs for articles published in pure gold journals, e.g. those that are entirely free to read.  Please see DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals) for listing.
  • It does not cover gold access to individual papers in hybrid journals (those that charge a subscription for the journal, and APCs for individual articles) unless they offer us a substantial discount on the APC charge due to us paying a subscription.  Details of qualifying publishers are included in the APC Application Process link below.
  • The lead, or corresponding, author must be a member of university staff.  The fund is not open to doctoral researchers (other than when they appear as a co-author of a paper submitted by a qualifying staff member).
  • Where the researched is funded under a grant, then funding for open access charges should be sought from the funder in the first instance.

Please refer to the APC Application Fund Process diagram to check eligibility before applying.


Please check the SharePoint site, or contact [email protected] for more information or any queries about applying for APC funding.