Whether you are a business owner who wants to improve your online engagement and gain competitive advantage or a complete beginner looking to start a career in online marketing, the Digital Marketing Institute's (DMI) digital marketing course could be the ideal solution. This course is delivered in the heart of London and offers a practical marketing short course that will help you improve your online marketing activities.
This short course is accredited by the Digital Marketing Institute - an international professional association for Digital Marketers. Success in this programme allows you to become a Certified Digital Marketing Professional.
It is delivered in two 2-hour sessions over 10 weeks on a Wednesday evening (6-8pm) and a Saturday morning (10am-12 noon).
To gain the DMI certification there is a multi-choice online exam at the end of the course.
Who is this course for?
Certified Digital Marketing Professional is ideal for anyone involved in the planning, implementation or measurement of digital strategies – or anyone who employs digital marketing staff and would like to understand how they spend their time.
This marketing course is for:
- professionals who need to understand digital marketing or get more out of their digital channels
- marketers who want to fast-track their career or improve their position in the marketplace
- small business owners who need to maximise online channels for growing their business
- students who want to upskill in digital marketing
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
Discounts and offers
We’re now offering a 15% discount on our Certified Digital Marketing Professional Course fees to University of Westminster alumni, students and staff. Sign up now to start your new journey with us.
Westminster Business School has been accredited by the Digital Marketing Institute to deliver this programme to a syllabus designed by practising digital marketing professionals and endorsed and validated in conjunction with Google, Facebook, Twitter, Paypal, Microsoft and Ogilvy, to name just a few. This ensures that the curriculum has been specifically structured to focus on current trends and best practices in digital marketing.
The course covers the following modules:
What's it all about? How do you reach customers? How can traditional and digital media work together to create a water-tight campaign that speaks its truth across any and every channel? What's the difference between inbound and outbound marketing?
This module takes you through all the basics, helps you explore the buyer journey and stays rooted in practice. The goal is always to keep things clear and actionable.
- Principles of Digital Marketing
- Digital Research
- Developing Objectives
- Cultural Research
- Connecting with the Customer
Digital media is fascinating and powerful because it’s super person-orientated, yet also data driven – you get to engage with how people think and also see how and what they do. This module is about creating content that speaks to people, but also about sending it out into the big wide digital world at the right time and via the right channels. Best of all, you get the superpower ability to see what works.
- Content Marketing Concepts and Strategy
- Developing a Content Marketing Plan
- Publishing and Distributing Content
- Using Content Research to Find Opportunities
- Creating and Curating Content
- Metrics and Performance
It’s not just social media marketing, it’s a big warm pleasurable social media experience for your audience. Your brand needs to ring loud and clear through all the right platforms and we’re going to show you how. Learn how to grow and engage a community around your offering. Give these people more to care about. Reach further with paid marketing and get deeper insights.
- Key Social Platforms for Digital Marketing
- Growing and Engaging an Audience
- Developing Data-Driven Audience and Campaign Insights
- Setting up a Social Media Experience for a Business
- Creating and Optimising Social Media Campaigns
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
You must be found. Which means you must make yourself found. Search Engine Optimisation is all about getting on that first Google page, staying top of the list and top of mind. Learn the tricks of the trade such as keywords, what kind of content attracts, how to create more engagement and the magical art of conversion. There is so much to ‘like’.
- SEO Fundamentals
- Keywords and SEO Content Plan
- Measuring SEO Performance
- Aligning SEO and Business Objectives
- Optimise Organic Search Ranking
Paid Search (PPC) using Google Ads
Pay-Per Click campaigns using Google Ads, bid auctions, how to squeeze every drop of value out of paid search campaigns, the tracking of successful conversions, Google Analytics and more – this is turbo-charged marketing practice with pinpoint precision.
- Fundamentals of Paid Search
- Search Campaign Management
- Paid Search Campaign Measurement
- Paid Search Campaign Creation with Google Ads
Are email lists still relevant? Oh yes. An email is post sent to your virtual home address so it’s important - but needs to be done properly to make sure that email gets opened and starts your target on a click-through journey of discovery. Also see how it can all be automated for max efficiency and let’s not forget the all-important regulatory stuff.
- Email Marketing Fundamentals
- Email Design
- Testing and Optimising an Email Campaign
- Tools and Strategy
- Creating an Effective Email campaign
- Marketing Automation
YouTube. Because we have eyes to see. Learn how to set up, manage, analyse and optimise a channel worthy of much viewing. Also release the sales power of Google Display Network and more. Visual is where it’s at. .
- Fundamentals of YouTube and Display Advertising
- Google Display Network and Video Ad Formats
- Creating and Managing a YouTube Channel
- Creating Display and Video Campaigns
- Targeting Display and Video
Campaigns: Measurement and Optimisation.
What makes a winning website? This module gives you the skills to create a simple, well-designed, optimised WordPress site that not only looks good but also delivers for your business – goals and solutions stay lined up, nice and clear. Also, let’s get user-centric with best practice UX and go deep with data; activity tracking means insight – and insight is power.
- Web Design and Website Optimisation
- Design Principles and Website Copy
- Publishing a Basic Website
- User-centered Design and Website Optimisation
- Website Metrics and Developing Insight
Be all seeing, all knowing. This module helps you unleash the awesome capability of data. Discover what your customer wants, likes, needs and does. Go deep inside their journey so you can perfect their seamless path to purchase and beyond. This is not just great power, it is super power.
- Web Analytics Fundamentals
- Creating and Configuring a Google Analytics Account
- Monitoring Campaigns with Google Analytics Reports
- Setting Goals with Google Analytics
- Analysing and Recording Google Analytics Data
We give you capability, influence, reach, data, insight and tools, tools and more tools. But you still need solid objectives, otherwise you are drunk on power, driving a high performance sports car round and round in circles on your way to the supermarket. That’s why we tie it all together with a strategy module. Have a big and clear vision of where you really want to go, and make it actionable with budget, channel and media plans, Key Performance Indicators and more.
- Digital Strategy Fundamentals
- Setting Strategy Objectives and KPIs
- Digital Strategy Research
- Developing a Creative Strategy
- Executing a Digital Marketing Strategy
- Communicating a Digital Marketing Strategy
At the end of this course, you will understand the various channels and activities required to plan, implement and manage a comprehensive digital marketing plan for your business.
Our Certified Digital Marketing Professional will help you to:
- gain a clear understanding of the value of digital marketing and why it is a vital component of your overall marketing strategy
- plan, create and effectively manage search, social media, mobile and email marketing campaigns
- integrate your digital marketing plans into your overall marketing strategy
- drive new visitor traffic to your website while improving online conversion rates
- understand how digital marketing can help you grow your business, domestically and internationally
- identify various online applications and resources that can help build effective and profitable websites
- measure and analyse the visitor traffic to your website to continuously develop and improve your digital marketing efforts
The course fee includes lectures, lecture materials and the exam fee. These materials will be available on the University's virtual learning platform.
Assessment and certification
All participants will receive a certificate of attendance from the University listing the modules of the course. The Digital Marketing Institute will issue certificates online directly to you.
The certification will be awarded on successful completion of a three-hour computer-based multi-choice exam. The exam is set and graded by the DMI and administered by Pearson Vue through their worldwide assessment centres.
You book your assessment online, through the Pearson website, to be taken at a time and place convenient to you. Guidance on how to do this will be given at the start of the course. The exam fee is included in the cost of your course.
We recommend you allow a minimum of two weeks after the course for your further study and revision before taking the test. Your registration allows you to take the test up to 24 weeks after completing the taught programme.
You also gain membership of the Digital Marketing Institute as a professional for 12 months.
This course will be delivered in a virtual classroom. You will benefit from face-to-face online engagement with experienced academics and practitioners and will become part of the University of Westminster’s global community from anywhere in the world.
Our virtual classroom environment ensures you have enhanced learning opportunities, tailored to your specific group.
In our virtual classroom environment you'll take part in live online classes. You will be able to interact with your tutor and colleagues in real time. Your teacher will share documents, audio and video with you. You will be moved into virtual work groups, given shared control of the classroom so that you can deliver presentations, upload oral or written work and obtain immediate feedback by completing online tests.
Whatever your Westminster experience – online, on campus or a blend of these – you can be assured of a warm welcome at our University, where your wellbeing, the quality of our teaching and your learning experience, are our priorities.
Your career as a digital marketer
Digital Marketing is a contemporary career that is so generic it is applicable to any business sector. This qualification offers opportunities for a career change or internal advancement in most medium or large, UK or international organisations. The typical salary range for graduate marketing schemes and entry-level positions, such as digital marketing assistant, is £18,000 to £22,000. A more experienced digital officer, or digital coordinator, can expect to earn up to £30,000. In a more senior management role, this has the potential to rise up to £40,000. Including the Digital Marketing Practitioner in your CV will add a sought-after qualification.
Digital marketing involves the promotion of products and services through a variety of digital channels, using the internet and mobile technology. In the role of digital marketer, you'll be involved in developing an organisation's multi-channel communication strategies.
As a digital marketer, you may need to:
- develop and integrate content marketing strategies
- create and upload copy and images for the organisation's website
- write and dispatch email marketing campaigns
- research new online media opportunities that may benefit the business including mobile, social media, development of blogs and forums
- design website banners and assist with web visuals
- conduct keyword research and web statistics reporting
- contribute to social media engagement and brand awareness campaigns
- contribute to company and industry blogs and manage e-communications
- assist with paid media, including liaising with digital advertising agencies
- manage the contact database and assist with lead generation activities
- use web analytics software to monitor the performance of client websites and make recommendations for improvement
If you work in an agency you may also have to:
- negotiate with media suppliers to achieve the best price for clients
- communicate with clients, affiliate networks and affiliate partners
- provide accurate reports and analysis to clients and company management to demonstrate effective return on investment (ROI)
Online virtual classroom
Day and time
6–8pm Wednesdays, 10am–12pm Saturdays
This course is taught at our Marylebone Campus in central London, within easy walking distance of Regent's Park and Marylebone High Street.