We will be tailoring our delivery of our short courses in the year ahead, in accordance with government guidance on physical distancing, with the safety, health and wellbeing of our University community at the heart of our decisions.
We will be delivering the Part 1 of all the Language courses via online virtual classroom. Whatever the way you start your Westminster experience - online, on campus or a blend of these - you can be assured of a warm welcome at our University, where your wellbeing, the quality of our teaching and your learning experience, are our priorities.
Would you like to learn Croatian/Serbian in London? Join one of our part-time Croatian/Serbian courses at our central London Regent Street Campus – just a few minutes' walk from Oxford Circus.
Who is this class for?
You should have a good basic knowledge of the Croatian language and its grammar.
- Part 1 is for you if you have already studied the Croatian language for approximately two years or 120 hours or equivalent
- You can join Part 2 if you have studied Croatian for about 140 hours
- You can join Part 3 if you have studied Croatian for about 160 hours
Discounts and offers
- Part 1 for £250 (£280 after 23 August)*
- Parts 1, 2 and 3 together for £565 (£625 after 23 August)*
To book all three parts, please proceed with booking Part 1 and add Parts 2 and 3 to your order when prompted during the checkout process.
Terms and conditions
Our Croatian/Serbian lessons follow a communicative approach to language teaching, focusing on the language you need to communicate in authentic situations with an emphasis on speaking and listening. Our evening classes are taught by experienced language teachers who are native speakers of the language or equivalent.
Please note that the distribution of course content across terms may vary from year to year. This is due to the variable length of terms in different academic years. There may also be slight content variations at the discretion of the tutor. We may, for example, include additional content when general progress is good, or vary content according to students’ interests.
The course is based on the tutor’s own materials.
You may also want to get a copy of Dobro Došli 2, Učimo hrvatski 2, Naučimo srpski 2, which you can use as supplementary materials.
- Family and friends
- Travelling and holidays
- Leisure and hobbies
- Different lifestyles, long-term plans (ideals, dreams, expectations)
- Use of dative and genitive case for expressing possession
- Conditional sentences
- Collective numbers (dvoje, troje, četvoro, etc),
- Personal pronouns in cases
- Word order of enclitics
- Different countries and cultures
- Challenging national stereotypes (European nations)
- Multicultural Britain vs 'culturally monolithic' Croatia/Serbia
- On culture shock: adapting to different cultural norms and becoming part of a new culture
- Irregular plural of some common nouns (dijete, brat)
- Pluralia tantum (vrata, pluća, leđa,…)
- Introducing conjunctions for subordinate clauses (zato što, budući da, iako, etc)
- Indefinite and negative pronouns (netko, nešto; nitko, ništa, etc)
- Reported speech
- Technology and how it affects us
- Internet, social networks and traditional media
- Career and work
- Current affairs (the Balkans and the UK)
- Back to nature – debating climate change and other pressing ecological issues
- Revision of the pronoun one's own (svoj, -a, -e)
- Present and past participle (gerund)
- Expansion of verbal aspect (perfective and imperfective verbs)
- Introduction of the most frequent passive participles, passive voice (formation)
Online information sessions
Would you like to meet our teachers and find out more about our courses?
We're running some online information sessions between 14 and 24 September to help answer any questions you may have about our courses.
Please note, bookings will close on Sunday 27 September 2020 so book early to make sure you don’t miss out!
If you have any questions about the course, please get in touch with us via the details at the bottom of this page.
Day and time
Day and time
**No classes on Bank Holiday Monday 3 May 2021 and Monday 31 May 2021.
- Part 1: 05 October – 11 December 2020
- Part 2: 18 January – 26 March 2021
- Part 3: 12 April – 28 June 2021*
- Part 3: 12 April – 18 June 2021 **
* For courses running on Mondays only (No classes on Bank Holiday Monday 3 May 2021 and Monday 31 May 2021)
**For courses running on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only
Part 1: 18 January – 26 March 2021
Part 2: 12 April – 18 June 2021
Part 3: 21 June – 23 July 2021*
*Classes in Part 3 run twice a week
January start is for selected languages only.
Our Croatian/Serbian courses take place at our Regent Street site in central London – just a few minutes' walk from Oxford Circus.