Whether you're taking your first steps to learn another language or are at an advanced level, our courses will help you to communicate confidently in your chosen language.
Our interactive online courses provide real-time lessons with an expert tutor to practise speaking and listening. You will also have the flexibility of an online course. Access to all multimedia learning resources is included.
Who is this class for?
For this level, you should have a good basic knowledge of the Croatian/Serbian language and its grammar.
This course is made up of three parts. If you’ve studied Croatian/Serbian for around two years or 120 hours, you should start with Part 1. For those who’ve studied more than this, you may be able to join Part 2 or Part 3 directly – contact us if you're unsure of your level by using the details at the bottom of the page.
Discounts and offers
- Part 3 for £250 (£280 after 28 February)*
The early bird discount prices for our October-start courses are available if booked by 28 February 2021*.
Terms and conditions
Our lower intermediate course is made up of three parts, Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3. Each part builds on what you've learnt previously.
At the lower intermediate level:
- Part 1 is for you if you have studied Croatian/Serbian for around two years or 120 hours
- Part 2 is for you if you have completed Part 1, or if you have studied Croatian/Serbian for about 140 hours
- Part 3 is for you if you have completed Parts 1 and 2, or if you have studied Croatian/Serbian for about 160 hours
You can skip Part 1 and proceed straight to joining Part 2 or 3 if you have prior experience. If you’re not sure of your level, email us via the contact details at the bottom of this page.
If you can't see the part you need in the booking table, please check back, as we add more dates throughout the year.
Our Croatian/Serbian lessons follow a communicative approach to language teaching, focusing on the language you need to communicate in authentic situations with an emphasis on speaking and listening. Our evening classes are taught by experienced language teachers who are native speakers of the language or equivalent.
Please note that the distribution of course content across terms may vary from year to year. This is due to the variable length of terms in different academic years. There may also be slight content variations at the discretion of the tutor. We may, for example, include additional content when general progress is good, or vary content according to students’ interests.
The course is based on the tutor’s own materials.
You may also want to get a copy of Dobro Došli 2, Učimo hrvatski 2, Naučimo srpski 2, which you can use as supplementary materials.
- Family and friends
- Travelling and holidays
- Leisure and hobbies
- Different lifestyles, long-term plans (ideals, dreams, expectations)
- Use of dative and genitive case for expressing possession
- Conditional sentences
- Collective numbers (dvoje, troje, četvoro, etc),
- Personal pronouns in cases
- Word order of enclitics
- Different countries and cultures
- Challenging national stereotypes (European nations)
- Multicultural Britain vs 'culturally monolithic' Croatia/Serbia
- On culture shock: adapting to different cultural norms and becoming part of a new culture
- Irregular plural of some common nouns (dijete, brat)
- Pluralia tantum (vrata, pluća, leđa,…)
- Introducing conjunctions for subordinate clauses (zato što, budući da, iako, etc)
- Indefinite and negative pronouns (netko, nešto; nitko, ništa, etc)
- Reported speech
- Technology and how it affects us
- Internet, social networks and traditional media
- Career and work
- Current affairs (the Balkans and the UK)
- Back to nature – debating climate change and other pressing ecological issues
- Revision of the pronoun one's own (svoj, -a, -e)
- Present and past participle (gerund)
- Expansion of verbal aspect (perfective and imperfective verbs)
- Introduction of the most frequent passive participles, passive voice (formation)
Some of our courses have already started but we are still accepting late enrolments.
If you have any questions about the course, please get in touch with us via the details at the bottom of this page.
The early bird discount price is available if the course is booked by 28 February 2021*.
Part 1 of this course is now closed, but will be running again in autumn 2021.
**No classes on Bank Holiday Monday 3 May 2021 and Monday 31 May 2021.
How we're delivering courses
This course is delivered in an online, virtual classroom, where you'll benefit from live, face-to-face engagement with experienced language teachers.
Wherever you are in the world, you'll become part of the University of Westminster's global community. You can be assured of a warm welcome here, where your wellbeing, the quality of our teaching and your learning experience are our priorities.
We arrange online Meet the Teacher sessions three weeks before our courses start where you can discuss your language level, meet our teachers and find out more about our courses. If you're interested, please register via this form and we'll contact you with further information.
Discover our virtual learning environment with a tour of Blackboard.
Take a look around our virtual classrooms.
Looking for another language or level?
If we don't currently offer the language or level you're looking for, please register your interest with us, and we will get in touch if the course becomes available.
- Part 1: 05 October – 11 December 2020
- Part 2: 18 January – 26 March 2021
- Part 3: 12 April – 28 June 2021*
- Part 3: 12 April – 18 June 2021 **
* For courses running on Mondays only (No classes on Bank Holiday Monday 3 May 2021 and Monday 31 May 2021)
**For courses running on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only
Part 1: 18 January – 26 March 2021
Part 2: 12 April – 18 June 2021
Part 3: 21 June – 23 July 2021*
*Classes in Part 3 run twice a week
January start is for selected languages only.