Whether you're taking your first steps to learn another language or are at an advanced level, our courses will help you to communicate confidently in your chosen language.
Our interactive online courses provide real-time lessons with an expert tutor to practise speaking and listening. You will also have the flexibility of an online course. Access to all multimedia learning resources is included.
Who is this class for?
Bulgarian Beginner is the first exposure to the language, allowing you to start to communicate.
The course is made up of three parts. If you're an absolute beginner, you should start with Part 1. For those who've done some study before, you may be able to join Part 2 or Part 3 directly – contact us if you're unsure of your level by using the details at the bottom of the page.
Discounts and offers
We are now offering a 36% discount on our Beginner level Evening Language Course fees to University of Westminster alumni, students and University of Westminster staff. Sign up now to start your new journey with us.
You can book:
- Part 3 for £250 (£280 after 28 February)*
The early bird discount prices for our courses are available if booked by 28 February 2021*.
Terms and conditions
Our beginner's course is made up of three parts, Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3. Each part builds on what you've learnt previously.
At the beginner level:
- Part 1 is for you if you have no or little previous knowledge of Bulgarian
- Part 2 is for you if you have completed Part 1, or if you have studied Bulgarian for about 20 hours
- Part 3 is for you if you have completed Parts 1 and 2, or if you have studied Bulgarian for about 40 hours
You can skip Part 1 and proceed straight to joining Part 2 or 3 if you have prior experience. If you’re not sure of your level, email us via the contact details at the bottom of this page.
If you can't see the part you need in the booking table, please check back, as we add more dates throughout the year.
Our Bulgarian lessons follow a communicative approach to language teaching, focusing on the language you need to communicate in authentic situations with an emphasis on speaking and listening. Our evening classes are taught by experienced language teachers who are native speakers of the language or equivalent.
There may be slight content variations at the discretion of the tutor. We may, for example, include additional content when general progress is good, or vary content according to students' interests. The distribution of content across parts may vary from one year to the next depending on the length of parts.
We will use our own materials throughout the course. Please wait until the first session to obtain a list of recommended literature.
You can join Part 1, 2 or 3 of the course depending on your prior experience.
In Part 1 of the Bulgarian Beginners course, you'll cover the following topics and grammar:
In this term, we will cover:
- Cyrillic alphabet; greetings and polite expressions
- introducing yourself (nationality, profession, marital status, age)
- countries and nationalities
- booking or looking for accommodation
- ordering food at a restaurant
- numbers and counting
- days of the week
You will learn:
- verb ’to be’ (съм), verb ’to have’ (имам); verb ‘haven’t got’ (нямам)
- use of subject pronouns with the verb 'to be' ( аз съм)
- genders of nouns; definite article of masculine, feminine and neuter genders
- gender of adjectives
- conjugation of verbs (three patterns)
- yes/ no questions: adding the question particle’ ли’
- object personal pronouns (short form: ме, те, го.)
Part 2 builds on what you learnt in Part 1, covering the following topics and grammar:
This term, we will cover:
- asking about quantity of things
- food and eating habits
- asking and telling the time
- languages - asking and telling people what languages they speak/ know
- travel - asking and answering about travel schedules
- telephone conversations - learning etiquette and useful expressions
- books and magazines - expressing likes, dislikes, and suggestions
- You will learn:
- plurals of nouns in masculine, feminine, neuter genders
- plurals of adjectives (хубави)
- special masculine plural after numbers (два вестника)
- possessive pronouns, short forms (ме, те, му)
- imperatives of verbs (plus some common irregular imperatives)
- simple past tense; future tense
- verbal aspect ( пpистигам-imperfective) (пристигна- perfective)
Part 3 is the final level of the Bulgarian Beginners course, and covers the following topics and grammar:
This term, we will cover:
- conversations at work – arranging a meeting, telling and asking about work schedule
- days of the week
- telling and asking about past activities - last weekend, last holiday
- telling and asking about interests, sports and hobbies
- shopping - asking about and telling what you like to buy and how much things cost
You will learn:
- comparison – good, better and best
- suggesting and asking politely - Would you like to…? May I…? Could you?
- dative personal pronouns: short form ( ми, ти, му)
- expressing an obligation, intention, preference
- indirect speech ( Ана казва, че е гладна)
- adjectives with definite article (новата книга)
- relative clauses (using която/ което/които)
Some of our courses have already started but we are still accepting late enrolments.
If you have any questions about the course, please get in touch with us via the details at the bottom of this page.
The early bird discount price is available if the course is booked by 28 February 2021*.
Part 1 of this course is now closed, but will be running again in autumn 2021.
**No classes on Bank Holiday Monday 3 May 2021 and Monday 31 May 2021.
How we're delivering courses
This course is delivered in an online, virtual classroom, where you'll benefit from live, face-to-face engagement with experienced language teachers.
Wherever you are in the world, you'll become part of the University of Westminster's global community. You can be assured of a warm welcome here, where your wellbeing, the quality of our teaching and your learning experience are our priorities.
We arrange online Meet the Teacher sessions three weeks before our courses start where you can discuss your language level, meet our teachers and find out more about our courses. If you're interested, please register via this form and we'll contact you with further information.
Discover our virtual learning environment with a tour of Blackboard.
Take a look around our virtual classrooms.
Looking for another language or level?
If we don't currently offer the language or level you're looking for, please register your interest with us, and we will get in touch if the course becomes available.
- Part 1: 05 October – 11 December 2020
- Part 2: 18 January – 26 March 2021
- Part 3: 12 April – 28 June 2021*
- Part 3: 12 April – 18 June 2021 **
* For courses running on Mondays only (No classes on Bank Holiday Monday 3 May 2021 and Monday 31 May 2021)
**For courses running on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only
Part 1: 18 January – 26 March 2021
Part 2: 12 April – 18 June 2021
Part 3: 21 June – 23 July 2021*
*Classes in Part 3 run twice a week
January start is for selected languages only.