Am I guaranteed a room in halls?

Unfortunately not – we currently receive more applications than we have spaces, so we advise you to apply as soon as possible.

If you are unsuccessful in gaining a halls place, we can assist you in finding an alternative – just get in touch with us.

How do I make an application for halls?

Applications are made online, via our Applying for halls page.

I will be a first year at Cavendish/Marylebone/Regent Campus - can I apply only for Raffles House?

Yes, you will only be able to apply for Raffles House.

Raffles House has been reserved exclusively for our first year students, to help you meet other first years right at the start of term and make new friends.

Raffles House is located at Wembley Park and are only two tube stops from Baker Street (Marylebone Campus) and three stops from Great Portland Street and Regent's Park (Cavendish Campus and Regent Campus).

Although this is the only options in your first year, you will be able to apply for a place at Marylebone Hall in your second and third years.

I will be a first year at Harrow Campus – can I apply for Harrow Halls?

Yes, students studying on our Harrow Campus have priority to stay at Harrow Halls. However, you can also apply to live in Raffles House based in Wembley Park.

How do I pay my halls rent?

Visit our Accepting our halls offer page for details of how and when to pay your halls rent and deposit.

What is included in the halls rent?

The cost of utilities and Internet access are included in the rent.

Basic possessions insurance is also included in the rent, and is provided by Endsleigh. The insurance covers basic items such as PCs and laptops in your room. Visit the Endsleigh website to see what is covered in the insurance and to add any additional items to your insurance.

Will I have to pay council tax?

Have a look at our Council tax page for details.

What safety and security measures are there at halls?

We take the safety and security of our students very seriously. CCTV is installed at hall entrances and each hall is also normally staffed by a receptionist during the day and a security guard at night.

For the shared rooms, can I share with a friend?

Yes, you can. Contact us when you’ve made an application and we’ll try to take this into account.

Are halls self-catered? Are there kitchens?

All halls are self-catered and the majority share a kitchen between six students. Marylebone and Harrow students will have use of the campus canteens.

What furnishings and items are included in halls?


Bedrooms are centrally heated and generally contain:

  • a single bed
  • wardrobe
  • desk and chair
  • storage drawer
  • bookshelf
  • bedside cabinet
  • mirror
  • washbasin

Bedding is not provided, so you will need to bring with you blankets/duvet and cover, pillows, sheets and pillowcases.


Depending on the hall of residence, kitchens are shared between a minimum of four and a maximum of eight students.

Each flat has a large kitchen/diner equipped with a cooker and hob, microwave, fridge-freezer, kettle, toaster, table and chairs, and television aerial socket. Note that heaters and cooking equipment are not permitted in bedrooms.

You will need to bring your own cutlery, crockery, saucepans and cooking utensils.

If you’d like to bring a television, you’ll need to arrange your own television license.


Each shared bathroom contains a bath, shower, wash basin and a toilet.

The en-suite bathrooms in Harrow and Marylebone Halls have a shower, wash basin and toilet. You will need to provide your own toiletries.

Laundry facilities

We have on-site launderettes at each hall, with coin-operated washers and dryers, where you can wash your laundry.

Irons and ironing boards are available on request.


There are limited storage facilities in each bedroom, so you are advised not to bring more belongings than necessary.


Some cleaning of communal areas is provided, but you are expected to keep your room and communal areas clean and tidy.

Can I have guests at halls? Do you charge for short guest stays?

You may have guests for a short stay at the discretion of your hall coordinator, and this is not chargeable.

What should I bring with me?

You'll need to bring a number of items with you, most notably bed linen and cutlery.

If you are allocated a room in halls, you'll be sent further details prior to your check-in date.

Do the halls have WiFi?

All our halls of residence have wireless internet access (WiFi).

The high-speed network is accessible from all bedrooms and some communal areas. Like any service, there are rules and regulations in place to ensure that students use the Internet legally and responsibly.

Do I need a TV licence in Halls?

Yes, the halls will have a licence for the communal areas however you will need an additional licence to watch TV in your room. Visit the TV Licensing site for more information. 

Are there car parking facilities at the halls?

No, there are no long-term car parking facilities at any of the halls.

How much does transport in London cost?

This depends on which Zones you will be travelling through. For more information on student fares in London, take a look at the Transport for London website.

I would like to leave my hall before the contract end date – am I allowed to do this?

The halls tenancy contract is legally binding – when you e-sign the contract, you accept the rent liability for the duration of its term. This means that if you leave your hall of residence early, you will still be liable to pay the rent for the remaining period given in the contract, or until we have found a replacement tenant. You will also be liable to pay a £50 administration charge.

If you decide to leave your hall early, you will need to complete the Leaving Halls of Residence form as soon as possible and submit it to your hall reception or the Student Accommodation team at Cavendish House. The form can also be emailed to the team at [email protected]

  • Download the Leaving Halls of Residence form: 
  • Download the Leaving Halls of Residence notes: 
  • If you are a resident in Raffles House you will need to refer to your tenancy agreement as the cancellation policy for Raffles House differs from the policy for University of Westminster managed halls.
  • Please note that in most cases you will be held liable for rent due for the duration of the tenancy agreement.

My tenancy contract finishes in June, but I need accommodation over the summer. What should I do?

Get in touch with our Summer Accommodation team to find out whether there are rooms available in halls over the summer. We recommend you contact the team when you move into hall at the start of the year, as rooms may get booked up later.

Note that summer accommodation contracts finish at the beginning of September and halls will need to be vacated. If you need accommodation after this date, get in touch with us to discuss your options.

What are my other accommodation options?

If you don’t want to live in halls or don't get a place in halls, there are two main alternatives: private sector halls of residence and private houseshares.

We have referral agreements with a number of good quality private hall providers, and have negotiated preferential rates for University of Westminster students. Have a look at our Private rented accommodation page for advice on where to look.

There is also a thriving private house-share market in London – get in touch with us for help in finding your place.