Professional and short courses
RICS APC: Technical Preparation Course (Property Pathways)
|Location||Marylebone, Central London|
|Faculty||Architecture and the Built Environment|
This one-day intensive technical training course prepares you for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors’ (RICS) assessment of professional competence (APC).
We will provide you with a practical overview and update on several of the APC mandatory and technical competencies, with tips and guidance to prepare you for the APC final assessment. The day is a series of lectures on key information covered by the competencies and tips on how to apply this to practical scenarios. You can combine this course with Presentation and Interview Skills the next day.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for you if you are undertaking the RICS APC final assessment on commercial property, planning and development, residential and valuation pathways.
It is also for you if you already have a working understanding in the subject area but would like to undertake formal continuing professional development, refreshing or enhancing your skills.
|Courses no longer available|
|Start date||Duration||Day and time||Price||Apply|
|16 September 2016||1 day||Friday 9am–5pm||£225||Already started|
The course will provide a technical, professional and practical outlook on range of disciplines associated with the property industry.
You will gain an understanding of:
- practicalities of the final assessment
- inspection and measurement
- property valuation
- business tenancies including rent reviews
- RICS constitution, codes of practice and ethics
- property management
- residential tenancies
- planning law and practice
- property agency – disposals, acquisitions and lettings
- property records and information systems
- an overview of the mandatory competences
Teaching and learning methods
The course will be delivered using both a formal lecture and small group tutorial approach, and will give you the opportunity to interact using questions and answers throughout. It will be supported by a number of presentations and a course reader (including the presentation material).
We will use a wide variety of learning methods and techniques including:
- sharing experiences with colleagues
- case studies
- debate and discussion
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- assimilate material from a wide range of technical, practical and professional areas associated with those practitioners who work as commercial property, planning and development, residential, and valuation surveyors
- apply the knowledge gained to a range of professional and technical scenarios in preparation for the final APC interview
- appraise a case study appropriate for use in the final assessment as part of the professional interview
- appreciate and apply a range of answers to legal issues that arise in the property industry and in professional practice
- better prepare for the final assessment interview
The knowledge and understanding gained from this course will help you demonstrate both a technical understanding and practical appreciation of how the topic matter is used in the surveying profession.
- Michael Pain, Principal Lecturer
- Athar Rashid, Senior Lecturer
The programme counts for 7.5 hours of formal continuing professional development. A certificate of attendance will be available after the course.