Most students who have just finished their Part 2 Diploma or MArch take a year to orientate themselves in practice before starting their Part 3 course. This short evening course to be held in the autumn is designed to prepare you for this period in practice and to make the most of this professional experience.
The course will be led by two of our RIBA Part 3 team who have extensive experience of guiding students through their practical experience.
- A PSA to sign your PEDR's and give you advice during the year
- Seminars on what to look for in practice to prepare for Part 3
- Guidance on showing the value you have to offer
At the end of this course you will:
- understand the process and procedures of architectural practice
- be familiar with the requirements of the ARB and the RIBA
- understand how to prepare for the RIBA Part III course
- have enhanced your personal and professional skills you need to expand career opportunities
- have developed your reflective learning
Find out more about the role of a professional studies advisor (PSA).
All the information you need on PEDR and becoming an architect is available on the PEDR website.
RIBA student membership
Student membership is free to all RIBA Part I and Part II students.
Please note: We are currently waiting for confirmation of the session dates for 2019–20.
- Introduction Session (6.30–8pm) - Tuesday 24 September 2019
PECHA KUCHA: TEAMWORK / 20 x 20
Each student will share their experience of working as a team and technical issues in practice. Each student must prepare a 20-slide PowerPoint presentation and 20-second short talk.
- Each slide should focus on the following:
- 1. Working with consultants eg Structural Engineer/Mechanical/Electrical Engineer to resolve a technical issue.
- 2. Highs and lows of working with others within the practice e.g. IT specialist to resolve BIM issue or assisting project architects with a specific task.
- Session 1 - Tuesday 29 October 2019
(6.30–8pm) How to make the most of your practical work experience and tools required succeeding part 3 (Wilfred Achille, Mode 1 Architects and now 2PM London Ltd)
- Session 2 – Tuesday 26 November 2019
(6.30–8pm) Professionalism demystified (TBC)
- Session 3 – Tuesday 10 December 2019
(6.30–8pm) Negotiation Skills (TBC)
- Session 4 – Tuesday 29 January 2020
(6.30–8pm) Exposure and Experience (TBC)
- Session 5 – Tuesday 25 February 2020
(6.30–8pm) Running the Office (Wilfred Achille, Founder of Mode 1 Architects and now 2PM London Ltd)
- Session 6 – Tuesday 24 March 2020
(6.30–8pm) Developing critical thinking and self-awareness (TBC)
- Session 7 – Tuesday 21 April 2020
(6.30–8pm) Understanding Planning, Conservation & Building Control (Edward Ihejirika DCUK)
- Session 8 – Tuesday 19 May 2020
(6.30–8pm) Types of Building procurement routes explained (Alan Brown – IID Architects)
- Session 9 – Tuesday 9 June 2020
(6.30–8pm) Your Question & Answers (Wilfred Achille)
The course will be led by two of our RIBA Part III team who have extensive experience of guiding students through practical experience:
This course is taught at our Marylebone Campus in central London, within easy walking distance of Regent's Park and Marylebone High Street.