Professional and short courses
RICS APC: Technical Preparation Course (Construction Pathways)
|Location||Marylebone, Central London|
|Faculty||Architecture and the Built Environment|
This one-day intensive technical training course prepares you for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors’ (RICS) assessment of professional competence (APC).
We will provide you with a practical overview and update on several of the APC mandatory and technical competencies, with tips and guidance to prepare you for the APC final assessment. You can combine it with our Presentation and Interview Skills course to form a two-day course.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for you if you are undertaking the RICS APC final assessment on building surveying, quantity surveying, facilities management and project management pathways.
It is also for you if you already have a working understanding in the subject area but would like to undertake formal continuing professional development, refreshing or enhancing your skills.
|No course dates available|
|Register your interest and we will let you know when we have new dates.|
The course will provide a technical, professional and practical outlook on range of disciplines associated with the construction industry.
You will gain an understanding of:
- requirements of the final assessment
- building pathology
- building contracts
- procurement and tendering
- contract administration
- programming and planning
- project financial control and reporting
- health and safety
- risk management
- dispute resolution
- the Party Wall etc. Act 1996
- the mandatory APC competencies
- CDM regulations
Teaching and learning methods
The course will be delivered using both a formal lecture and small group tutorial approach, and will give you the opportunity to interact using questions and answers throughout.
We will use a wide variety of learning methods and techniques including:
- sharing experiences with colleagues
- case studies
- debate and discussion
- self-directed reading and research
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- assimilate material from a wide range of technical, practical and professional areas
- apply the knowledge gained to a range of professional and technical scenarios in preparation for the final APC interview
- appreciate and apply a range of answers to legal issues that arise in the construction industry and in professional practice
- better prepare for the final assessment interview
The knowledge and understanding gained from this course will help you demonstrate both a technical understanding and practical appreciation of how the topic matter is used in the surveying profession.
- Michael Pain, Principal Lecturer
- Athar Rashid, Senior Lecturer
The programme counts for 15 hours of formal continuing professional development. A certificate of attendance will be available after the course.