Professional and short courses
|Location||Cavendish, Central London|
|Faculty||Science and Technology|
With over 35 million downloads, Joomla is one of the world’s most popular open-source content management systems. Knowledge on Joomla templates creates numerous business opportunities.
This intensive one-day course teaches participants how to use, modify and create Joomla templates. Starting with an introduction to Joomla templates, it provides participants with all the necessary knowledge on how to install and modify an existing template and then proceeds to creating a template from scratch. Basic understanding of CSS and PHP code is required. Emphasis will be given on the Model-View-Controller (MVC) approach as it is used by Joomla. MVC is a software design pattern that can be used to organise code in such a way that the business logic and data presentation are separate.
Participants will have the chance for hands-on experience.
Who is this course for?
Typical participants include:
- web developers with basic PHP and CSS understanding who would like to advance their knowledge on Joomla and expand their business
- web designers with basic PHP and CSS background who want to improve their understanding on Joomla and develop further the services they offer to their clients
- students with basic PHP and CSS understanding who are looking for a field to apply their knowledge and create new web sites – this could be particularly beneficial for final-year projects. Additionally students who wish to pursue a career in web development or a business idea, could benefit from this course
- any person with some PHP and CSS knowledge who wants to learn more about Joomla
|No course dates available|
|This course will be running soon. If you would like to be kept informed please contact us.|
The course will cover:
- Joomla templates basics: downloading and installing a template, understanding the structure of a template, different views of a template – CSS files
- the MVC software design pattern
- modifying a template: editing the CSS file, adding new modules, creating new positions
- new templates: constructing a totally new template
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- download and install Joomla templates
- understand the basic structure of a template and how modules are related to templates
- understand the MVC software design pattern
- make changes to a template
- create a simple Joomla template
Dr Vassiliki Bouki
Dr Vassiliki Bouki is a Principal Lecturer in the Business Information Systems department at the University of Westminister.
She has more than 20 years' experience in teaching in higher education and research. She has several publications on national and international conferences and journals. Her interests include: web design, content management systems, design and use of educational applications.