This clinical biochemistry and haematology course provides you with an overview of key tests and procedures in a blood sciences setting.
It covers theoretical and practical aspects, which will be delivered by University staff and practitioners.
The course covers five sessions, running over a six-week period. You can book the full course or each session individually.
Who is this course for?
The course is aimed at those with an interest in blood sciences and those currently undertaking a relevant Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS) specialist diploma.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- explain the principles of operation of automation as applicable to blood sciences
- describe the principles, quality assurance and limitations of core haematology tests and the methods employed
- describe the principles, quality assurance and limitations of core clinical chemistry tests and the methods employed
- complete optional assessments that will partially evidence all sections of the Institute of Biomedical Science, Biomedical Science Specialist Diploma, and selected sections of the Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology and Transfusion Science
Indicative content as follows:
Clinical Biochemistry 1
- Renal function tests
- Lipids and cardiovascular disease
Clinical Biochemistry 2
- Diabetes and hypoglycaemia
- Liver function tests
- Drug analysis
Clinical Biochemistry 3
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Prenatal screening
- Peripheral blood cell morphology
- Blood transfusion 1
- Blood transfusion 2
Haematinics and White Blood Cell Disorders
- Haematinics to include Iron, B12, Folate metabolism & absorption
- White cell haemopoiesis and introduction to WBC abnormalities/malignancy
- Laboratory testing for haematinic deficiencies and WBC malignancy
- Microscopy and interpretation exercises
The course is registered as IBMS CPD approved professional activity. An attendance certificate will be issued and may be used for IBMS CPD purposes together with a reflective account of the session.
Next available course will be run in Spring 2021. If you have any questions or have interest in the course, please get in touch via the details at the bottom of this page.
Please get in touch for a discount if you are an IBMS member and interested in booking onto the course. We will require a letter/a photo of your IBMS membership.
This course is taught at our Cavendish Campus in central London, within easy walking distance of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road.