Open Access Funding

The University of Westminster prefers ‘green’ open access, which does not require a payment to a publisher, but is often subject to an embargo period before the article can be made publicly viewable. This is usually between 0 and 24 months.

In some cases, however, researchers may wish to make their work available through the ‘gold’ open access route, which may involve the payment of an Article Processing Charge (APC), allowing the article to be made publicly viewable immediately. Please see details of our Gold Access Fund, including how to apply, below.

Some funding bodies will support their grant holders to deliver their open access policies by paying for APCs. Where an APC is paid, most funding bodies will expect the article to be made available under a specific Creative Commons licence, and failure to follow this requirement will result in the output being considered as non-compliant. Please email [email protected] if you have a query about the choice of Creative Commons licence required by your funding body.

Springer Compact

As our institution has a Springer Compact agreement, then you may publish your article open access – at no charge to yourself – in more than 1,600 of Springer's journals. You do not need to apply through the University.

Once your article is accepted, Springer will send you a link to the MyPublication form. There you will be asked to state your affiliation. You will also need to agree to the open access terms. You are advised to use your institutional email address instead of your private email address. This enables Springer to better identify you as eligible under the agreement.

Externally Funded Research

If you are funded by RCUK/UKRI, the Wellcome Trust or some other grant allocating bodies, you must comply with their open access policies. Additionally, please ensure you add information about your funding in the relevant section when you are adding the item to the VRE. In order to comply some publishers will require the payment of an Article Processing Charge (APC) and a limited University Open Access Fund is available. Priority is given to RCUK funded research, but it is open to all staff.

University Open Access Fund

Research Councils UK (now UKRI) allocated funding to the University of Westminster to assist with the payment of APCs. Funds are targeted primarily to RCUK/UKRI Council grant holders but other applicants will also be considered subject to availability of funding. All research active staff are entitled to apply. As these funds are limited, applications must be made via your College Research Director. Please use this form (login required) to do so.

The Wellcome Trust

The Wellcome Trust will also fund APCs and BPCs in order to deliver its open access policy. Wellcome provide more information on how to apply for open access funding for non COAF-funded research institutes on their website.

Acknowledgment of Funder

If you have received funding, you should acknowledge the funder in any publications that arise from it. Details on a standardised way of doing this are available from the Researcher Information Network.

Please contact [email protected] for more information or any queries about applying for APC funding.


Read about the HEFCE REF2021 Open Access Policy.



The University of Westminster's online repository, containing the research output of the University's academic community.

Contact us

If you would like any help or advice please contact the Open Access team

 [email protected]