Professional and short courses
|Location||Cavendish, Central London|
|Faculty||Science and Technology|
This clinical biochemistry and haematology course provides you with an overview of key tests and procedures in a blood sciences setting.
It covers theoretical and practical aspects, which will be delivered by University staff and practitioners.
The course covers four sessions, running over a six-week period. You can book the full course or each session individually.
Who is this course for?
The course is aimed at those with an interest in blood sciences and those currently undertaking a relevant Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS) specialist diploma.
|Courses no longer available|
|Name||Start date||Duration||Day and time||Price||Apply|
|Clinical biochemistry 1||17 June 2017||1 day||Saturday 9.30am–4.30pm||£150||No longer available|
|Haematology 1||24 June 2017||1 day||Saturday 9.30am–4.30pm||£150||No longer available|
|Haematology 2||1 July 2017||1 day||Saturday 9.30am–4.30pm||£150||No longer available|
|Clinical biochemistry 2||8 July 2017||1 day||Saturday 9.30am–4.30pm||£150||No longer available|
*Fees include lunch and refreshments.
Indicative content as follows:
Clinical biochemistry 1
- Introduction to the Diploma in Biomedical Science
- Automation and renal function tests
- Liver function tests and metabolism
- Peripheral blood cell morphology
- Haemostasis function
- Blood transfusion 1
- Blood transfusion 2
Clinical biochemistry 2
- Drug analysis
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- explain the principles of operation of automation as applicable to blood sciences
- describe the principles, quality assurance and limitations of core haematology tests and the methods employed
- describe the principles, quality assurance and limitations of core clinical chemistry tests and the methods employed
- complete optional assessments that will partially evidence all sections of the Institute of Biomedical Science, Biomedical Science Specialist Diploma, and selected sections of the Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology and Transfusion Science
The course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS) for 28 credits for the full course or 7 credits for each session (CPD accreditation code MD042N16).