Professional and short courses
Preparing for Practice: Professional Studies for Postgraduate Architectural Students
|Location||Marylebone, Central London|
Most students who have just finished their Part 2 Diploma or MArch take a year to orientate themselves in practice before starting their Part 3 course. This short evening course to be held in the autumn is designed to prepare you for this period in practice and to make the most of this professional experience.
The course will be led by two of our RIBA Part 3 team who have extensive experience of guiding students through their practical experience.
- A PSA to sign your PEDR's and give you advice during the year
- Seminars on what to look for in practice to prepare for Part 3
- Guidance on showing the value you have to offer
|Courses open for booking|
|Start date||Duration||Day and time||Price||Apply|
|25 September 2018||9 session||Tuesday evenings, 6.30-8pm||£270||Book now|
- Introduction Session - Tuesday 25 September 2018
PECHA KUCHA: TEAMWORK / 20 x 20
Each student will share their experience of working as a team and technical issues in practice.Each student must prepare a 20 slide PowerPoint presentation and 20 seconds short talk.
Each slide should focus on the following:
- 1. Working with consultants e.g. Structural Engineer/Mechanical/Electrical Engineer to resolve a technical issue.
- 2. Highs and lows of working with others within the practice e.g. IT specialist to resolve BIM issue or assisting project architects with a specific task.
- Session 1 - Tuesday 30 October 2018
How to make the most of your practical work experience and tools required succeeding part 3 (Wilfred Achille, Mode 1 Architects and now 2PM London Ltd)
- Session 2 – Tuesday 20 November 2018
Professionalism demystified (Ana Boldina)
- Session 3 – Tuesday 11 December 2018
Negotiation Skills (Ana Boldina)
- Session 4 – Tuesday 22 January 2019
Exposure and Experience (Ana Boldina)
- Session 5 – Tuesday 19 February 2019
Running the Office (Wilfred Achille, Founder of Mode 1 Architects and now 2PM London Ltd)
- Session 6 – Tuesday 26 March 2019
Developing critical thinking and self-awareness (Ana Boldina)
- Session 7 – Tuesday 23 April 2019
Understanding Planning, Conservation & Building Control (Edward Ihejirika DCUK)
- Session 8 – Tuesday 21 May 2019
Types of Building procurement routes explained (Alan Brown – IID Architects)
- Session 9 – Tuesday 11 June 2019
Your Question & Answers (Wilfred Achille)
At the end of this course you will:
- understand the process and procedures of architectural practice
- be familiar with the requirements of the ARB and the RIBA
- understand how to prepare for the RIBA Part III course
- have enhanced your personal and professional skills you need to expand career opportunities
- have developed your reflective learning
The course will be led by two of our RIBA Part III team who have extensive experience of guiding students through practical experience:
- Stephen Brookhouse, Principal Lecturer
- Wilfred Achille, Senior Lecturer
Click here to find out more about the role of a professional studies advisor (PSA).
All the information you need on PEDR and becoming an architect is available on the PEDR website.
RIBA student membership
Student membership is free to all RIBA Part I and Part II students.