Professor Lisa Webley
Professor of Empirical Legal Studies
I'm part of
Lisa Webley LLB Hons (Law with French Hons) (Birm) MA (Legal Practice) MA (Higher Education) (Westmin) PhD (Lond) Cert.Soc. (Birkbeck) DiplEJF (Limoges) PgDiplLP (CoL Chester) SFHEA FRSA GCILEx teaches on undergraduate and postgraduate courses offered by the School of Law, principally constitutional and administrative law, family law, legal skills, the English legal system and research methods, with occasional classes on dispute resolution in a civil and family law context.
She has been Faculty Research Director for Social Sciences and Humanities since 2013. She is a LLB/LLM/MA/ PhD supervisor and holder of the OUP Law Teacher of the Year Award 2016. She sits on the Law Society of England and Wales' Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee and the Academic Committee of the Civil Mediation Council.
Lisa has carried out funded empirical research for a number of public bodies and organisations including: the European Commission; the Ministry of Justice (formerly the Department for Constitutional Affairs); the Department for Trade and Industry; the Law Society of England and Wales; the Legal Services Commission; the Legal Services Board; and the Victoria Law Foundation Australia. She also undertakes academic and professional consultancy work, including consultancy for City law firms. Lisa is also a Senior Research Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London, and Course Director and principal teacher on the Institute's two week intensive Introduction to Legal and Empirical Research Methods course for MPhil/PhD students.
She has also taught previously at Birkbeck College and the University of Exeter. She has held a number of visiting positions: Visiting Fellow at the University of Technology, Sydney Australia (2002) and the Victoria Law Foundation, Melbourne Australia (2004); Adjunct Professor on the Dickinson Penn State School of Law semester abroad programme (2004 & 2005); Visiting Professor at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University, Ohio USA (2007); Visiting Professor on the University of Stetson JD programme (2008-). She was formerly a director and trustee of the Hackney Law Centre.
- Family Law (LLB) Joint module leader
- Public Law/Constitutional and Administrative Law (LLB)
- Dissertation Supervision (LLB/ LLM/MA)
- PhD Supervision Empirical Socio-Legal Research Methods (LLM and PhD)
- Legal Skills, Legal Research and Legal Writing (LLB, LLM, PhD)
- Regulation of Legal Practice in the UK (US JD students, with John Flood on the Michigan State University/University of Westminster 21st Century Law Practice Summer Programme)
- Comparative Constitutional Institutions and Law (US JD students)
- Judicial Review (Public Sector Professionals)
- ADR and Mediation (LLM) Legal Ethics (LLB and LLM Teaching
- Lisa Webley Legal Writing 4th ed (Abingdon and New York: Routledge, 2016)
- Lisa Webley and Harriet Samuels Complete Public Law Text Cases and Materials 3rd ed (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015) .
- Equality and Diversity in the Legal Profession, Legal Profession Regulation
- Access to Justice
- Dispute Resolution including Mediation
- Family Law
- Public Law
- Legal Education