Dr Stefan Van Dellen
Senior Lecturer in Finance
I'm part of
Dr Stefan van Dellen joined Westminster Business School in 2011 as a Senior Lecturer in Finance and is currently the Course Leader for the MSc in Finance (Banking) degree as well as one of two Westminster. Stefan has also been the College representative at Academic Council since 2018.
Stefan holds a BComm in Economics and Applied Economics, an MSc in Shipping, Trade and Finance and a PhD in Finance. His areas of expertise include risk management and applied financial econometrics, with a particular interest in modelling tail risk, and he has published in a number of academic journals, including Energy Economics. He is also currently supervising two PhD students who are examining the interaction between risk and the banking sectors.
Stefan's teaching covers both the undergraduate and postgraduate modules on the finance prorgammes, including such modules as International Risk Management and Securities Analysis. He is also an Extremal Examiner for the Masters in Energy Management at ESCP Business School and has also worked as a visiting lecturer at Toulouse Business School and Cass Business School. Prior to moving to the UK, Stefan worked as a logistics controller at Rennies Shipping Agencies in Durban, South Africa.
PhD in Finance (Cass Business School, City, University of London)
MSc in Shipping, Trade and Finance (Cass Business School, City, University of London),
BComm (University of Natal, South Africa)
Member of the International Association of Maritime Economists
Stefan is currently module leader for the following modules:
- International Risk Management (MSc Finance & Accounting & MSc Investment & Risk Finance)
- Securities Analysis (Level 5, BSc Finance)
Current Themes in Finance (Level 6, BA Business Management - Finance & Financial Services)
In the past, Stefan has been module leader for the following modules:
- Financial Securities Valuation (Level 5, BSc Finance with Management)
- Quantitative Finance (Level 6, BA Business Management & BSc Business Economics)
- International Banking (Level 6, BA Business Management & BSc International Business)
- Empirical Finance (Level 6, BSc Finance with Management)
- Risk Management & International Finance (Level 6, BA Business Management & BSc Finance with Management)
Stefan's main research interests include risk management; banking; term-structure of interest rates; maritime economics; commodities finance; shipping finance; capital structure; applied econometrics; forecasting time series; banking; mergers & acquisitions; & value premia.